Chapter Ten

Small white dots glowed on his dark skin. They looked like stars in the deep night sky. My lips parted at the sight of the man before me. He was beautiful, more attractive than he was in pictures.

His hand tightened around Valerio's neck, yet Valerio still didn't seem to understand what was happening. He threw his arms around aimlessly, trying to break out of his hold. His eyes gazed through the Night God, almost as if he didn't even see him, and he stared at me. Reaching out his hand, he begged me to help him.

My eyes searched through the crowd and everyone's eyebrows furrowed together, trying to see what was happening. Whispers erupted through the crowd.

What's happening?

Why isn't he getting up?

Is he dying?

Could they not see the Night God?

I quickly turned back to Valerio and screamed out to him. "Stop!" I screamed.

The Night God immediately released Valerio, causing him to fall back, clutching his neck and gasping for air. He turned to me with a smirk tugging on his lips. He silently stalked over to me, like I was his prey. My heart quickened for a moment at his rough look, but I pushed my thoughts aside. My mother told me he was here to help me.

As he approached, I inhaled sharply at how attractive he really was. I had a strong pull to him. Definitely not as strong as my pull to Damon or Luca, but one still lingered in the air between us.

He walked around my body and pushed strands of my hair away from my ear. "I've been waiting for you, Mae," he spoke.

I swallowed nervously as the pain continued to nip away at my body. I just wanted the agony to be over. I needed it to be, but at the same time, I wanted to be strong.

"Light up my darkness," he murmured against my bare flesh. His fingers trailed up my arm, leaving a blazing fire beneath them. His lips pressed softly against my shoulder and I shuttered. A surge of power and desire swelled under my skin. My eyes fluttered closed, accepting his touch. "Let go and I'll take away all of the pain."

My body leaned into his touch, craving the release of my pain. I desperately wanted to free myself from the torture of the heat, of my wolf's incomplete shift, of my agony, but I turned and pushed away his firm chest. I yearned to finally fulfill my place among the divine. I desired to guide and protect the werewolf species. I wished to eliminate the Challengers.

I reminded myself that the longer I endured the pain, the more power I would attain to help me fulfill my responsibilities.

I glanced around the crowd to see everyone's confused face. To the men and women before me, it looked as if I was interacting with thin air, but I knew that the Night God stood before me. I smiled softly at him and caressed his cheek. "My darkness, let the pain fester within me. I crave it."

He pursed his lips together, his eyes turning dark.

I laid back down and reluctantly let Valerio fasten me back to the ground. Valerio brushed passed the Night God and stood right next to him without even knowing. I stared up at the Night God. He studied me intently.

After my confrontation with him, the pain seemed to become worse. The skin by the silver chains was completely burned off and the whites of my bone shown through the deep red muscle.

Minute after minute passed and I tried to suppress the pain as everyone watched me. Although the deep sky was dark overhead. Light peaked over the edge of the horizon. My muscles twitched sporadically and then an overwhelming pain pierced through my skin. I glanced down at my flesh to see blood smeared all over it. Blood oozed out of every pore of my skin, covering me completely with it. My heart raced. I was dying.