Chapter Fifty Two

An old lady with a fistful of butterscotch and a black cane was standing menacingly in the kitchen, with her lips puckered in disappointment

An old lady with a fistful of butterscotch and a black cane was standing menacingly in the kitchen, with her lips puckered in disappointment. She sported a blue tracksuit and baseball cap over her short, curly gray hair, and she looked very upset.

The leader looked at her for a second. Then burst out laughing.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA!" He hooted, bending over and slapping a knee. "Well, would you look at that! A harmless dog and an old bag have come to your rescue. Quite the strike team!"

Grandma puckered her lips even more. "Now you listen here youngster, you better leave before I bend you over and pattle your behind!"

I was still in shock, to be honest, gaping like a fish out of water between the scary thug and the angry grandmother.

An old lady was coming to my rescue?

Better than no one I guess.

The guy rolled his eyes dramatically. "What good can the likes of you do? One giant ME verses one tiny YOU."

Grandma grinned, a twinkle in her wrinkly eyes. "Who said anything about just me?"

Suddenly, about twenty other old ladies identical to her waddled into the kitchen. They were all wearing the same blue tracksuit with canes of their own, and all together, they looked as threatening as a lion.

What the hell was going on here?

"Say hello to my Senior Yoga Class," She spoke proudly.

The other ladies all gave greetings to the man, following suit.

"Hello!"

"Nice to meet you."

"Want some candy, little boy?"

The guy laughed out loud, going as far as bending over and heaving. "So this is your plan, huh? Sending your grandparents to fight me? One touch and their hips will break!"

The old ladies did not like this.

In one second, they went from friendly candy-ladies, to menacing bringers of death.

Their faces grew deadly, and they began yelling different things.

"How dare you."

"Show some respect for your elders!"

"I am very disappointed in you young man."

The guy looked like he was on the verge of laughing again, but I had a sinking feeling that something was about to happen.

Grandma raised her cane and shouted a battle cry. "LETS GET 'EM LADIES!"

They let out a cheer and the crowd of old women surged forward.

And it was almost too much to watch.

Within seconds, the ladies were on top of him, shouting, beating him with their canes, and throwing various types of hard candies at him.

He completely lost my respect as he cried out and begged them to stop whacking him.

In one of the oddest things I have ever witnessed, the strong old werewolf was being beaten up by yoga-loving seniors, thus saving my life.

They cursed and whacked and stampeded the guy as he cried out in agony.

The ladies finally stepped back and allowed the guy to run out the front door as fast as he could.

"And don't you come back!" They shouted, waving their canes.

Then they all broke out into cheers, saying things like, "This was so much more fun than yoga!" And, "We are happy to help!" And, "I hit him right between the legs!"

Just then, the two other guys ran downstairs to see what the commotion was about, but as soon as they caught sight of the army of old ladies, they immediately took off after their leader.

The ladies cheered again.

As they continued high-fiving each other, I walked up to the leader grandma.

She was still cheering, but left her friends and came over when she saw me coming.

"Thank you so much," I said, "But how did you know what was happening?"

She gave a short chuckle and popped a butterscotch in her mouth. "Impressive hearing aid, plus we were right next door. And also, I'm Jacob's grandmother. You're Carson's girlfriend, right?"

I fought off a blush, determined to remain indifferent. "No, we aren't together."

"Well, you'd have to be. You're mates after all!"

Then I froze. What did she just say?

"What was that?" I asked fearfully, hoping I'd heard wrong.

"Mates," She said again.

I gulped. "Like... the ones wild animals have?"

She nodded her head, pleased that I understood. "Exactly."

Oh. My. God.

"No way," I whispered under my breath.

"It's true," She said, overhearing. "So welcome to the family!"

Suddenly I felt dizzy.

The world seemed to lurch around me as the past events all came crashing down.

On top of being kidnapped, held hostage, and almost killed, this was jut too much for me to deal with.

The wound on my head suddenly started pounding, and I reached up to touch it, my fingers coming back bloody.

"Are you ok, dear?" She asked, eyeing the blood on my forehead, but it felt like she was underwater.

Werewolves

kidnapping

Carson

escape

family

death

college

parents

christmas

love

alleys

yoga

mates.

My mind spun, and I staggered away, catching onto the kitchen counter.

As if from far away, I heard Carson come pounding down the stairs after me.

"Hayley! Where are you- oh!"

He must have caught sight of all the old ladies in his doorway.

"Hayley!" He continued. "Ha-"

He broke off as he caught sight of me, eyes filling with relief.

He walked towards me, and I stumbled away, grabbing onto the kitchen table to steady me as his face tripled in my vision.

"What's wrong with her?" He asked grandma, his voice filling with concern.

I barely heard it though, as the edges of my vision began to swirl uncontrollably.

Suddenly, he seemed to notice the bloody wound on my forehead and his eyes filled with both rage and worry.

"God, are you ok? Your forehead-" He reached out to it, and I stumbled back.

His face changed from worried to confused.

"Hayley? It's me," He said lowly, walking slowly, as if not to scare me.

The last thing I remember is finally catching his fearful green eyes before my legs gave out and all went black, arms catching me at the last second.