2: His Majesty's Voice

As their coach stopped outside the palace, Peregrine shook Adolph awake. The Royal City was vast. Filled with the homes of the ruling family, kitchens, gardens, courtyards and courtier and servant's quarters. The taxation of the two-hour train ride showed on Adolph's face. His eyes were puffy and stepping out of the dark coach was like salt in a wound.

The Peerless men weren't kept waiting long. The queen mother's chief court lady led them down a maze of hallways until they came to the queen mother's rooms where a servant knelt outside the sliding door. Once they were announced, the woman slid the door open, and they entered.

The room was wide. The windows were raised to let in the morning breeze and a large pot of incense burned at the center. To the left was the fireplace, over which a large white stone peacock spread his tail. The walls were arrayed with colorful jigsaw puzzles, a few massive in their sum. All assembled by the queen mother. At the center of the room stood a desk and there she sat. Her face was small, her hair gathered at her neck in a braid and fastened with a long golden pin. Her desk was stacked with papers adding to the crease in her brow.

"Chief Aide Peerless and Judge Peerless, Your Majesty," Court Lady Ma said.

"Peregrine," Bak Hayoon said, "I know you weren't expecting to come up today."

The men bowed.

Bak Hayoon waved off her servants then invited the men to sit. "I feared you would not receive my note. I must remember to reward my man." She looked among them. "How handsome Adolph is. How did he do in the state test?"

Peregrine bowed. "His marks were well in all fields, Your Majesty. This foolish man must have failed to mention it to you."

"You are too humble. If your son did so well, then why is he not serving at court? Imagine what we would accomplish if there were two Peerless."

"Forgive this servant."

Adolph pressed his hands against his thighs.

"The years fly, Peregrine. I had hoped for days to be more pleasant, but..."

"It is sad indeed to hear of his majesty's passing." Peregrine said.

"Of course, for the past five years we have been expecting it. But a mother wishes her children to live forever. At least she does not wish to bury them."

"I am sorry, Your Majesty," Peregrine said. "Where is the king now?"

"With the coroner."

"And all is as to be expected?"

Bak Hayoon took a deep breath. "Almost. That is why I have summoned you here. As you know, Choi Yoon-Su had moved into his palace in Hoarfrost County to rest. Well, sometime in the night he became crazed. He stayed up late playing his gayageum like a man possessed. And he shut every servant out."

"Take a breath, Your Majesty," Peregrine said.

Bak Hayoon did. "I just cannot make sense of this letter to me."

"A goodbye letter?"

"No."

Adolph looked at his father.

"May we hear it, Your Majesty?" Peregrine asked.

Bak Hayoon's nails crinkled the page. "But I'm not sure if my son means it as a joke."

"It is best we hear it, Your Majesty."

Bak Hayoon read. "Mother, you want to know who will become king or queen in my place. Do not trouble yourself, I have taken the liberty to put it out of your hands. My cousin Kim Seo-Jun, the son of your sister, shall inherit the throne and become the king. Elsewhere in the palace others will receive the same announcement as well as my ministers. Listen, this will be the last time you hear my voice."