Chapter 44

I turned a corner in the corridor and wasn't surprised to see Ronan standing by the access door as he waited for me. Ronan seemed to be enjoying his job and, according to Starsong, was impressed with the number of gadgets and the quality of the technology available to him. When I did leave the ship, he was a nearly invisible shadow, far enough away that no one else ever noticed him.

He held out his hand. "Let me carry that for you."

I smirked slightly and dangled the case in my hand by its handle. "What? Scared they might mistake you for the Captain?"

He snorted faintly before taking the data storage device from me with a swift motion. "Being mistaken as Captain is the last thing I ever want to happen. Then I would actually have to listen to those people. Those suppliers and diplomats usually only want money or power..."

His tone was somewhat flat, as if he had encountered a few too many greedy or power-hungry people in his time. I tilted my head in thought. "I never really had anything to do with such people until just lately, but I have heard some stories."

He shrugged. "As long as you don't become greedy or power-hungry, there won't be any problems. And with Starsong around, I don't think that is something I have to worry about anytime soon."

I nodded in understanding. "He is fairly open for debate on most topics, but his morals and ethics are rock solid."

Ronan raised an eyebrow with a faint hint of amusement in his eyes. "You really don't see it, do you?"

I looked at him in complete confusion. "See what?"

"Hmmm..." He examined me for a few moments, "He tends to humor you with those discussions, but he plays hardball with everyone else. As a bodyguard, I tend to do a lot of research on the person I am supposed to be protecting. I have found that any files containing information on you are locked down, both on the Starship and off of it. Are you aware that you have almost entirely disappeared off the Spaceweb? There are a few vague pictures and mentions of you here and there, but nothing that anyone can use to track your history, life, or family."

I stared at him in disbelief. Then, using a trick I had practiced, I put two fingers on my one ear as if listening to a hidden earpiece. 'Starsong? Is he correct?'

Ronan had his own earpiece, and even though I knew it was there, I couldn't see it. It would not surprise him – or anyone for that matter – if I had such an earpiece, so they wouldn't question the action that clearly said I was listening to someone.

"Anything that anyone could have used to track or harm you or your family has been erased from the public websites. Many things did not note locations, or anything other than first names, so I left those sorts of things alone."

'Did you remove that picture of me accidentally dropping the water balloon on the teacher's head from the window above?'

"That was one of the first to go. Although, according to their files, they weren't sure if you had dropped the water balloon or if the two guys in the window above you had done it. That was why there were never any repercussions."

'That is a relief. But what did he mean when he said you humor me? I will admit that you have been far more tolerant with me and my mental ramblings than I had expected, but he is saying that you treat me differently than the crew, which I don't understand...' I trailed off. I had never seen any of the crew have an actual discussion with him, so I wasn't sure what Ronan might have seen.

"Rachel, you are the only one who truly speaks with me. The others may venture a question if they are completely confused or as a quick clarification, but nothing that went longer than two or three exchanges. Why wouldn't I treat you differently?"