Chapter 16

Last Updated. August 21, 2018

Not Edited.

ALENA

Ding.

I hurriedly enter the open elevator, wanting to get far away from Leo.

I let out a long sigh, releasing all the tension from our encounter. I did my very best to act tough; to not show Leo how affected I am by the whole situation. And by him.

I sigh again. I just want to go home, lay in the couch with a pint of ice cream and some light-hearted anime.

But no. I have to meet with Ryan for lunch.

Ding.

The elevator door opens and I quickly walk to my car. I settle myself in the driver's seat and start reapplying my make-up.

It feels weird, throwing myself once again in the dating scene.

But I have to do this for the kids. For yourself too, Alena.

I shift the gear to reverse and exit the parking. By the time I arrive in the cafe, I am 5 minutes late. I hurriedly enter and scan the tables for Ryan. I then spot Ryan seated on one of the booths in the far end corner the cafe. I swallow my nervousness as I walk towards him.

I take time to study him as I come closer. Contrary to his boy next door aura, he was wearing a dark blue long-sleeve button-down shirt with a light blue checkered tie. He had his hair sleeked back, giving him a balanced clean yet laid back look.

"I am so sorry for being late." I say as soon as I come by the booth.

He stood up and answered "No worries. Please have a seat" indicating the seat across from him.

I nod then take a seat. What should I do next? Lord help.

"Here's the menu" he says, passing me the menu. I nod in reply then scan the menu.

"You ready?" Ryan asks after a few minutes.

I nod again in reply. Ryan then signals the waiter, who immediate comes to our booth.

"Are you ready to order Sir? Ma'am?"

"Yes please. I'd like a Grilled Chicken Sandwich, a salad, and Earl Gray Tea. You Alena?" Ryan says.

"Carbonara, garlic bread and Cafe Mocha please." I tell the waiter who promptly informs us that the food would be ready in 15 minutes.

"Am I making you uncomfortable Alena?" Ryan asks worriedly as soon as the waiter leaves. "Maybe I should've changed out of these clothes before coming? My meeting took longer than expected so I came here immedietly."

"Oh no. Not at all." I hurriedly reply while shaking my head. I sigh then say "I am sorry. It's just ... I haven't had a date in a very long time."

He gives me a sincere smile then replies "Alena, may I be frank?" I nod for him to continue.

"I do feel attracted to you. But .. I guess you can say that I also don't want to move things quickly. Given how both of our previous relationships ended, I assume you feel the same way. So with your permission, I hope to take time to get to know you. Would that be okay?"

"Thank you for being honest Ryan, and I'm very sorry for making you uncomfortable." I give him a sincere smile then continue "I would love to get to know as well."

He gives me a nod. Ryan then lets out a sigh "Wew. That was scary."

I laugh at his statement. I give a smile then say "You look great by the way."

"You sure? I wasn't sure if the colors of the shirt and tie matched." He said looking at his outfit.

"Mhmm. You matched them well." I say, nodding my head.

"Then, thank you. You look beautiful too."

I look at him teasingly before replying "Are you sure? It seems like you're saying that out of courtesy."

He touches his heart in mock pain and reply "Oh no I didn't mean it that way. Would you please forgive this wretched excuse of a man?"

I laugh hard at his display. "Wow." I say in between laughs.

"By the way, about the picnic we discussed, when would you like to have that?" Ryan asks.

"How about this coming Saturday?" I reply.

"Okay, I'll ask Vicky but I'm sure Saturday its okay."

"Excuse me." Ryan and I turn to the waiter who was bringing our food. He quickly places our order on our table then left.

"Your favorite?" Ryan says.

"Mhmm. How about you?" I reply indicating the food in from of him.

He shakes his head then says "Nope, Mac and Cheese."

We start eating our food while talking about various topics — work, movies, the kids. It's been a long time since I've been able to just relax, talk and have fun with someone other than Shara. Take note, the last time Shara and I had a girls' day out was last year. It's refreshing having someone else to talk to. But no matter what I do Leo and our earlier encounter enters my mind. I try to stop myself from comparing them both but my mind just  does it.

Having these two men enter, or in Leo's case re-enter, my life at the same time is leaving me confused and putting my feelings in a tangled mess. A mess that I am not yet ready to deal with.

 A mess that I am not yet ready to deal with