Unwanted

In a dark alleyway behind a dumpster sat a five year old girl with chocolate brown eyes and dark brown hair, in her arms she held her two year old brother. Jade had been on the streets for a month now, she was trying her best to keep her brother alive as well as herself but it was getting harder. Every day she begged for food, some nice people would give her some, and occasionally they would give her water as well or some other drink. As Jade drifted back to sleep her recurring nightmare, or memory, started over again.

*Nightmare/ flashback*

            “Pepper Potts, will you do me the honor of marrying me?” Tony asked.

            “Yes!” Jade watched as she jumped up and hugged her father tightly.

            “Does this mean you’re my new mom?” Jade asked.

            Pepper turned to face her, “Tony could I talk to you… alone?”

            “Of course, Jade watch your brother for me.”

            Jade watched them walk into the other room and closed the door, despite that she could still hear them arguing for a few moments before Tony came out and walked over to her. He knelt down so he was level with her and gave her a cold look.

            “You can’t stay here.”

            “What do you mean dad?”

            “You have to leave… and take your brother.”

            “But why? I thought we were going to be a family.” Jade whimpered as tears welled up in her eyes.

            “It was you two or Pepper, and I think Pepper is more important considering I didn’t love your mother.”

            With that Tony picked up her brother and shoved him into her arms, he roughly pushed her out of the front door and shut it before she could get back in. Jade turned around and pounded her fists on the door while crying for Tony to let her back in but no one came to the door. Finally Jade gave up and carried her brother a few blocks before going up to a random house and knocking on the door, when she told the person who opened it what happed they told her to leave and shut the door in her face, after doing this to several other houses and being turned away Jade had settled down in an alley to stay the night in. This was the first of many nights she cried herself to sleep.

*End of nightmare/ flashback*

            Jade jerked awake with tears in her eyes, she glanced around at the alley she’d been living in since she’d been abandoned, she saw her brother was sleeping peacefully, unable to remember his father that threw him to the streets to die. She laid him on the ground before finding a dirty blanket and wrapping it around him, he woke up but Jade managed to get him to go back to sleep.

            “I’m going to get some food… stay here, and remember if someone tries to hurt you scream.”

            Her brother nodded before shutting his eyes again, Jade used the wall to help her stand before going to the alleyway entrance to begin her search for food.