ten

CHAPTER TEN!
010. Big enough for life

|| FEEL IT STILL ||❝I'm a rebel just forkicks, now

|| FEEL IT STILL ||
❝I'm a rebel just for
kicks, now. I've
been kickin' it
since 1966 now.❞

➳➳

I HAD NEVER seen a dress like the one Carmella had given me. The colour was something alien to me; it wasn't quite a normal navy blue, but it wasn't dark enough to earn the right to be called black either. Instead, it was some kind of multichrome silk- a material that changed as the light hit it at different angles and as my fingers ran over its long skirt when I didn't know what to do with my hands. Like all my dresses it hugged my figure, but this one seemed more personal; this one seemed to be somehow different from every other dress I had worn before.

Now that I was standing on a pedestal to allow my whole dress to be shown in the mirror, I began to understand why the colour was so familiar and yet new. In the light it reminded me of a live wire; the black cover was illuminated with a strip of blue underneath that was only noticeable if you looked close enough, but in the darkness, it was simply black.

I believe that she was making me into a live wire, which came across as more than ironic.

"Lorna, I need you to cover my face with your body." Carmella subtly asked as she placed the eyeshadow brush she was using down on a table, just as she nodded towards the camera that set in the corner. She looked nervous, which was an emotion that was rarely seen on her.

As I stepped in front of her, I managed to catch the colour of my dress become a little bit bluer than it was before.

"You're in danger here." She all but blurted out, as if it hadn't been going through my head since I had arrived. "I heard some of the other stylists talking about the private session- they said you threatened the President."

When she looked at me, Carmella's blue eyes were pleading for me to look shocked at her accusations, or at least for a part of me to seem disappointed. She was aware of how little I gave away as I once again glanced in the full length mirror to avoid the worry that made the blue seem more silver, but it was just enough to explain all that she needed.

"He was right."

She sighed as she said it, but the words became almost like bricks as they came in contact with my ear. The type of words that would turn the tips of them red, so that it made my hair look darker than before simply because my pale skin had more colour.

"Who?"

"Cinna." Carmella elaborated rather quickly. "Alec too. They kept telling me that you would sabotage something, I just never thought it would be something as important as your life."

And yet again, the truth of her words hit me like another pile of bricks. This time the colour beneath my skin evaporated into the air that was enfused with Carmella's peach perfume, and I was reminded horribly of my conversations the day before. It was becoming tiring to explain myself to people, and it began to hurt my heart.