ten

"Five-six-seven-eight!" Ashley yelled, and immediately started shaking her poms, along with the rest of the cheer team. 

I was behind. 

We were standing in front of a mirror, practicing for half-time on friday's football game. 

Ashley sighed and turned around. "Stop. Stop, stop, stop! Mia, what the hell?"

I looked away and felt my face heat up.

I heard footsteps and looked up at Ashley. Her green eyes were blazing with anger. She flipped her blonde hair over her shoulder and leaned in real close. "Cut the shit, Mia. I am not going to have you ruin our half-time show."

"Hey, she's just going through a rough time," Sarah piped up.

I didn't look over at her.

Ashley gave a big- fake- grin. "Right. A rough time. Claudia!"

A girl with caramel-colored hair and bright blue eyes walks over to us. "Yeah?"

"Why don't you help out Mia here? She just needs a little... push."

They exchange a little smile and leave me completely clueless. 

"Actually, I could help her," Sarah said. "She's my best friend."

Ashley shook her head. "No. Claudia will do fine. You guys go practice in B gym. We'll finish up here."

Claudia nods and takes me away.

Once we're in the hall and the doors shut, she spins towards me. "Quit the team. Otherwise, we'll make your life a living hell."

I shook my head. I was thinking about Sarah and how much she wanted me on this team.

Claudia slapped me.

I gasped and cupped my cheek.

"No one likes you. You're a freak. Sarah just pities you and even the losers won't put up with you. We don't want you here."

I fall to my knees and she walks into the locker room. She comes out a few minutes later with her cheer bag. "Nice chat!" she chirped and left me, on the floor, sobbing.