Chapter 3

The next day.

Amelia was lying flat on her stomach on Clara's bed, her hands tucked under her chin. A curious expression on her face.

"So you're saying that he announced your betrothal even though you declined his proposal?"

"Yes."

"Are you demented?" she asked, sitting up.

"What? You think I should have accepted his proposal when I didn't even know him just because he's a Duke?"

"Well, yes."

"He's the Duke of Montrose, Amy. Haven't you heard about his parents?"

"So? Since when has someone's background bothered you? You shouldn't be friends with me either then."

Amelia's family was pretty dysfunctional too.

"And what about you? You're a scandal in waiting too. Besides, we're twenty two, Clara. Twenty two and unmarried. It's not like we almost-spinsters get proposals like these everyday."

Clara covered her face with her hands, frustrated and confused.

If she had to be honest, she wasn't bothered by the Duke's family history in the least. But the fact that she didn't know anything about him was troubling her.

Luckily, Adonis, her pug walked in and jumped onto her lap. He wasn't the fittest of dogs considering how much they pampered and fed him. But he was adorable and his presence always made her feel better. Amelia didn't agree with her though.

"Oh Lord, get that thing away from here. It stinks."

"Take that back. You'll hurt his feelings."

"Oh well, I'm sorry Adonis. You smell wonderful," Amelia said in a tone which wasn't regretful in the least. He jumped down from Clara's lap, waddled up to Amelia and looked up at her longingly. She grudgingly bent down and patted his head.

Clara looked at Amelia. She was beautiful, blond with corn flower blue eyes. And had lovely, willowy figure unlike her plump one. She was so open and honest.

Why wasn't she married yet?

"Damn you to hell, Adonis! You got your drool all over my dress," Amy hooted with laughter and then started giggling cause she was on the floor and Adonis was licking her face. 

Oh wait, that's why.

Clara was sure that someday the right man would fall in love with her.

Later the same day.

"In my heart, I knew that Clara was capable of landing a Duke. In fact, that was why she was postponing getting married all these years."

Clara's mother was bragging about her nonexistent beauty and charm to Lady Hudson and Rebecca.

They'd paid a call on them to "congratulate" Clara on her betrothal and were seated in their rose parlour, taking tea.

"Do tell us, my dear. How did you manage to secure the Duke's affections?" Lady Hudson asked in a syrupy voice that grated on Clara's nerves.

Before she could say anything, Rebecca interrupted saying, "isn't it obvious mother? Clara trapped the Duke."

Clara's mother gasped, outraged.

That's it. She was done being compliant and quiet. So she said, "I'm afraid, I'm not as devious as you, my dearest. The entire ton knows about what you tried with Lord Drake."