Chapter Three

Madison's p.o.v »»

I awaken and instantly feel the same wave of nausea I've had for the past four days. I jolt up from my bed, yanking my bedroom door open, sprinting down the hallway, towards the bathroom. When the toilet comes into view, I fall to my knees, clutching my stomach with a gentle hand as my head jerks forward into the toilet bowl. The chunks of bile from my throat reveals itself afloat the toilet water.

I hear my mother rush in from behind my crouched position, "It's okay," She reassures, patting my back, "I'm here," She soothes, pulling me into her arms whilst she stroked my ginger hair.

Soon, dad wheeled into the bathroom with a concerned expression and a glass of water in his hand, handing it to me.

I've been feeling nauseated ever since the conversation I had with my mother in the hospital. It was already bad enough that I allegedly died, but Tyler finding me in a state of vulnerability? That was the icing on top of the cake.

"Maybe you should wait another day before going back to school, Maddie." My father's worried voice interjected my thoughts. I look to see my mother nodding in agreement, "Your father is right."

I looked between the two before making the decision they'd both be comfortable with, "I guess it wouldn't hurt to wait another day." I mumble.

My parents' tense expressions, softened at my co-operation with their suggestion. My mother quickly kisses my forehead before exiting the bathroom, "Good, get lots of rest." She instructed, her voice echoing from down the hall.

I got up from my spot and followed her hurried movements to the kitchen, "Where are you going?" I questioned, noticing her dressed in a black pantsuit with matching 6 inch heels.

My mother grabbed her purse, turning back at me with a huge grin on her slightly wrinkled face, "I'm going back to work!" She exclaimed with glee.

I didn't want my mom to go back to work this soon, but nonetheless, I mustered the happiest expression I could fake, "Let us know how it goes." I said with a faux smile.

I didn't want to ruin my mother's mood this morning, especially because I was the main reason she quit her job in the first place.

My dad soon made his presence known at my mother's side, "Unfortunately, I have to work today, too." He announced.

I looked at him flabbergasted, "Work?" I stuttered in disbelief, "Since when do you work, dad?" I asked with confusion.

He scratched his neck nervously, "Since, um..." He paused, trying to find the right words. I advert my eyes to the wooden floor, aware of what he was trying to say, "Oh," I muttered.

I cleared my throat, composing myself and gave them both a genuine smile, "Go, or you'll be late, don't worry about me, I'll be fine." I reassure, ushering both out the front door and into the rainy weather. They both turned to protest, but I closed the front door before they could find a reason to stay home.

I watch silently from the living room window as their cars pull out of the driveway, leaving me all alone. I can't help but notice his house from across the street.

Tyler's house used to be a lot more of my home than my own, but that was before we drifted apart. It was practically impossible to even look at each other, much less talk to each other now.

Sighing at the memory of Tyler, I'm about to return back to my bedroom, when I catch a glimpse of him jogging down his driveway to his car through the heavy rain. I can't help but stare at him from behind my living room curtains, for he looks so different from last time I saw him.

He's a lot more toned than I last remember. I study every facial feature and detail on his face, he's not at all what he used to be.

I probably would've stayed watching him longer if it wasn't for a knock at the door.

Walking quickly towards the front, I glance at myself in the nearby mirror before opening it to reveal Tyler's brother, Will.

"Morning, Will," I greet, "What brings you here?" I ask, opening the door a little wider. William offers me a bright smile, revealing a basket of goods from behind his back, "My mother wanted me to give you these."

My heart warms at the gesture, as I take the basket from him, "That's extremely thoughtful of her, please give her my thanks." I say, going to close the door.

"Madison," His voice pierces through the thick rain, stopping me.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

I laugh drily, "I wish people would stop asking me that question."

Will nods in understanding, "Right, that was a dumb question, I'm sorry for offending you." Will apologizes, leaving in the direction of his house.

I sigh, I'd stop him and tell him he wasn't making me uncomfortable, but that would be a lie.

That question seems to be the first thing people think of when they see me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the concerns, but what should've been asked before I ended up at the lake. Not now, when I'm a newspaper headline.

〜〜〜〜

I spent most of the day cooped up in my room watching TV, and getting caught up with my school assignments. I gave up halfway through with my Physics homework, not being able to understand any of the material. Sure, you can miss a lot in one day, but try six months.

I wish I could just go back to the way things used to be, but even I know there's no chance of that happening.

There was only one person who knew me before that night occurred.

Quickly, I grab the brand new smartphone lying on my nightstand, and dial the only number I remembered by heart.

Sweat builds up at my forehead whilst the phone rings. I'm about to click end call, when she answers on the other line.

"Hello?" She answers with confusion laced in her voice.

I press the phone to my ear, savoring the sound of the voice, "Lily," I whisper into the receiver.

"It's me, Madison."

I hold my breath, waiting for her response, but instead the line goes dead, ending the call.