Chapter Four

-3 years later-

Jumping up, I glance at the mirror on the wall one last time before sliding down the banister of the stairs. I landed on my feet, before beginning to run around to find my shoes.

"Ivy, for the fifth time. School! Now!", Dad yelled from the car outside. I groaned in annoyance, picking up my shoes and running to the door.

"I'm coming, geez!", I yelled back. I ran towards the open door of the car before jumping in.

"Ivy, no shoes! Your what, 8 years old now? Seriously, you're gonna cut yourself with something at some point", Dad scolded through the open window of the car.

"Oh no. My bag", I mumbled, realising I left it Caesar's room. I prepared for Dad's yelling but instead he sighed, telling me to just go get it.

I felt a bit bad, not going to lie. His work started before my school, so if I was late almost every day, he was very late almost every day.

I opened the front door again, skidding to a halt at the bottom of the staircase.

"Caesar! My school bag!", I yelled. His gibbering echoed down the stairs, the sound of his feet against the walls of the house also following.

His excited chatter became louder and louder until he was standing at the top of the stairs, holding my bag. I grinned, holding my arms out for him to throw it. His aim was faultless as the bag landed neatly into my arms.

"Appreciate it, C", I grinned, mock saluting at him. He returned it with one of his own, hooting in happiness after. "See you after school!"

Caesar was 3 years old now, so technically he could be going to school. Dad said no because he was too smart for it anyways. And it was true. Caesar had been helping me with my homework for a while now, especially the stuff I didn't understand.

"Your principal called me earlier", Dad said from next to me. I turned from the window to look at him beside me, raising my eyebrows in fake innocence. "You know what it was about?"

I bit my lip, racking my brain for an answer. There were 2 misunderstandings that had occurred in school the past week. Now which one Dad was talking about was the challenge. So, I decided to shake my head, remain silent and let him continue.

"You got into a fight with Jace...again", he said sternly, turning to look at me with disappointed eyes. I opened my mouth to start fighting my case but he decided he wasn't finished. "But...I also heard you're getting an award for science star of the month."

Me? The principal was having a laugh.

"Must've been an interesting phone call", I snorted, laughing a bit before shutting up when I saw Dad's face.

"That's not the point. I've been thinking a lot recently, about your...situation", Dad hesitated, choosing his words carefully. I narrowed my eyes in annoyance, gritting my teeth together.

"What situation!", I yelled, glaring at Dad. I made him jump as he struggled to get a grip of the steering wheel again.

"Jesus Christ Ivy, calm down. You're getting hotheaded again. This is what I mean", he exclaimed. I remained silent, arms crossed, waiting for his excuse.