Chapter Twenty-Nine

I couldn't resist putting that picture up after coming across it on Instagram hehe!

This chapter is dedicated to @FrancesBrown8 for leaving me so many votes to wake up to and comments. Thank you!

Okay, so to avoid writing like the Flash like last time *wipes sweat off brow at the memory*, I'm writing this chapter about eight hours to my update. Yay! Let's hope battery lives.

I actually planned on doing this reveal in chapter thirty you know but seeing as I have already left a cliffhanger in previous chapter and I don't have a concrete idea for a filler, I'll just skip the dramatics.

So yea enjoy...

The smile on my face falters in an instant.

From my head to my toes, my whole body goes limp, unable to process the words Matthew just said.

'Because I killed her'.

Those words are so blunt and direct, so unremorseful and the tone of his voice that echoed through the whole garden when he said that made me understand he was in no way joking.

I feel my bottom lip tremble in panic as my eyes widen within their sockets, pupils dilating.

Matthew just looks at me with a dull expression, blacks eyes cold and indifferent. The shiver that runs down my spine and cold that crawls over my skin only has me even more on edge.

"Please tell me you're joking." I manage to say, my words coming out as a plea and I realize that I'm actually pleading for him to not mean any of what he just said.

"There is a reason everyone warns you to stay away from me Lorena." He says simply, looking away from me and taking my necklace which lays firmly on his neck in his hands, his fingers tracing the rim of the gem with delicacy.

His eyes snap up to mine quickly, almost robotically.

"You should have listened to them."

The cold that engulfs my being the minute his eyes snap to mine is simply indescribable. I feel my toes curl and my joints stiffen.

I should have.

"Nicole was a Beta's daughter." He begins, gaze never faltering and I try my hardest to prevent my eyes from dipping downwards. "Beautiful is the only word to describe her really. On the outside anyway. On the inside, she was pure ambition and evil. She wanted to mate with an Alpha simply for power."

Matthew lets out a stiff laugh.

"Fate dealt her a very bad hand with me."

"What do you mean?" I question.

"I'm an Alpha's son but not his first. My brother Max is. This means or else Max dies without an heir, I won't be Alpha. Not that I care really, politics has never been my thing. I never wanted to be Alpha. I see it as a burden. Unfortunately, my mate didn't see it that way."

He lets the necklace fall to his neck as he straightens up in his seat.

"When she came to this pack and found out we were mates, she was happy. I was too. At least until she realized I wasn't going to be Alpha." Matthew scoffs, the memory bitter as he taps his index finger against the table "She convinced me to keep our mate bond a secret from everyone, said she wasn't ready to tell her father yet. I had my suspicions but I obliged anyway. She was my mate right?"

Matthew poses the question to me, an irritated laugh leaving his lips with sharpness. It cuts through the air like a diamond.

"You know, the mate bond only decides who you are meant to be with. It has no say in the personality of the individual. Whether the person is good, bad or evil, the mate bond won't flinch."