32. slow down

"He just said that JJ isn't here, he went to go do something now he's—" I tried to say before Jace cut me off

"Scarlett calm down— just breathe. You're skipping words again." Jace said calmly. "What did his friend say?"

"Sorry," I let out a long breath. "Braden said that JJ had to pay off some guys he owed."

"What do you mean?" Zoey questioned.

"Well JJ fell into the wrong crowd. I was younger yes but JJ is only 3 years older then me. He thought I didn't notice but I did. He was always so happy so some nights when he came home from school he seemed stressed, and sad even. He told me it was just school stressing him out but I knew that wasn't true. School came very easy for JJ he's extremely smart like you wouldn't believe. I was the one who wasn't doing so well in school. My parents made sure I knew that at all times."

"What does this have to do with what Braden said?" Ava questioned her voice always sweet.

"This group of people made him do bad things. Like break into different people's house, and do things like drugs but JJ never really did any of those things. So one day he couldn't take it anymore he was at a party and that's when he took this guy Spike's car and drove off. I guess he wasn't paying attention to the road because he got into an accident. Spike got really, really mad and he said he had to pay him back or else there would be problems. . . " I trailed off and a sigh escaped my lips. "Spike ended up going to jail. JJ didn't have to worry for a few years. But I heard he recently got out. He's a scary guy too. Big and got lots of tattoos. I know why JJ was on edge when he came to see me. He needed to get away."

"That's. . . Wow." Ava said.

"I know," I nodded quickly. "It's not like JJ could have asked my parents for the money." I rolled my eyes, "He had lost his job at the time, again because of Spike." I sighed this time, tears threatening to pour out. "What should I do?"

"Call the police." Cassie suggested.

"What? Isn't that going to make things worst?" I asked nervously.

"Can't help but try. You haven't seen the guy in weeks. Maybe filing a missing person report would even help too." Blake quickly said.

"Are you sure?" I asked and everyone nodded. "I'm sorry that I made you guys come up here with me." I frowned.

"It's okay, I suggested it. All that matters is that we find your brother." Jace said as we all got back into the truck. "Maybe you should even try and meet up with Braden. He might know more things."

"You're right." I looked at Jace. Then quickly pulled up Braden's contact and typed in a quick message.

SCARLETT: Can we meet up? I would like to talk more about JJ, if that's alright?

BRADEN: Yeah of course, I understand. I wanted to tell you more anyway.

SCARLETT: Great, thank you so much Braden!