chapter ten

Sarah remained at Alice's side. She had permission from Mrs. Jackson to skip school and stay with her best friend. The afternoon lingered. Sarah continued to read The Lord of the Rings to herself when Alice fell asleep about half an hour ago. She suddenly flinched when she heard Alice groan, and stir in her covers. Sarah marked her spot in the novel, and set it down on Alice's bedside table.

         Sarah leaned over, to see that Alice seemed to be lost in some sort of nightmare. Alice's head was drenched in sweat, and her hands kept having sudden spasms. Sarah caressed Alice's messy hair, and that made Alice calm down. After a few minutes, Sarah removed her hand from Alice's soft head, and continued to read.

Mrs. Jackson sat in her office. In front of her desk, was the chief of police.

         "I don't know what the hell happened," said Mrs. Jackson, rubbing her face with her hands. "All I know is that I heard screams coming from the ladies restroom, and I entered and saw Alice cowering in a corner, before her was one of our teachers. Her head had been brutally cut off...and...and the bathroom looked like a bloody slaughterhouse."

        The police chief adjusted the hat that covered his buzzed black hair. "Were there any signs of a break in?" he asked, sipping his coffee.

        I don't know! was what Mrs. Jackson wanted to say. But if she did so, she would piss of the chief. Instead, she answered:

         "No sir." Mrs. Jackson shifted her weight in her office chair.

         The police chief sat up, and picked up his briefcase. "We've done everything we can," the chief began. "We haven't found anything. I will set a  watch around the oak vale perimeter, and a mile on each side of the road. Call me if the murderer strikes again ok?"

         Mrs. Jackson nodded. And then the police chief exited.

          Mrs. Jackson sat alone in her office. Her hands were still trembling. She kept being revisited by the images of Ms. Wellsworth's blood soaked, decapitated body. Mrs. Jackson rubbed her tired eyes. She wished that her husband was there, but he was at a meeting for keeping Oak Vale funded. Mrs. Jackson wondered: what was to happen if the murder attacked again? who would be next? was she on the list? she prayed neither of those would come true. Soon after that, exhaustion took over. Mrs. Jackson didn't realize how tired she was. She walked into the back of her office, and laid upon a couch. Minutes later, she fell asleep.

A/N:

sorry for the short chapter guys, i had little time to write today :D

Cam Jenkins