Chapter 3

Reyes joined Reed and the twins, with Magnus and Elyse for their bike ride. Elyse was still a little unsure but she was adamant she was joining the boys, so he double checked her stabilizers and let her head off. On the way, he and Reed held back a little, to let the kids enjoy themselves, giving them a chance to talk. Reed had hoped the trip away would have brought Faith and Reyes closer together, but it only seemed to tear them apart and show Reyes all the reasons why he should leave. The only thing that stopped Reyes from leaving was Elyse and Magnus, and knowing that they needed their mother, whether or not she gave them the love and affection they needed.

"You're thinking about leaving again, aren't you?" Reed asked, glad that they had the chance to walk in peace, while the kids were busy riding their bikes. They had been needing to have this conversation for a while now, but it had never seemed so urgent as it did now. Reed could see the pain afresh in his eyes, for anyone to see.

"There's nothing for me here. Just Elyse and Magnus." Reyes answered sadly, knowing that he had at least given it a try. He had married Faith, had some happy times with her and tried his hardest to be the best dad he could to Dicken and Clare, as well as his own kids. But it never seemed enough. Not for them. "I'll wait until we get home...I'll tell Faith then. And then I'll get a house for the three of us." He explained honestly, gazing across at the two innocent children who were laughing and joking around with the twins. They deserved a real life, away from Dicken and Clare's snide comments, away from the arguments. They deserved a father who wasn't constantly thinking about everything he hated in his life, rather than everything he loved.

"Then you're decided? Once and for all?" Reed asked, well aware of their countless conversations where Reyes had talked himself out of it for the sake of everyone else involved. But this time, he was adamant. There wasn't even a show of uncertainly in his voice.

"I'll talk to Faith when we get back, have the divorce papers drawn up and that'll be it. It'll all be over." He confessed with a nod. The way he came out with it shocked Reed so much that he asked something he never thought he would even have to consider.

"You're my best friend Reyes. Tell me you haven't been miserable the entire last ten years," He asked in concern. He hoped he would laugh it off and say he wasn't miserable or that it was a new development, but he didn't even blink at the question.

"Not the entire time. But certainly the last five years or so." Reyes confessed, deciding it was better to admit the truth now while Faith and 'her children' weren't nearby. And while Ayah wasn't there to cry in front of him. He could only appreciate the fact that Reed cared enough to ask the difficult questions he did.

"Then why stay so long if things were so bad?" Reed asked.

"They needed me. Whether they could admit it or not, Clare...Dicken...Faith, they all needed me to stay a little longer." He admitted it uneasily, not sure how anyone could hate him so much when all he had ever tried to do was make them happy. He had been so close to Dicken before the wedding, so close they felt like a real father and son unit. Now the kid could barely look at him without a distinct hatred in his eyes that burned through to Reyes' soul. It was enough to wash away any hope, any good memories he had of them together, any belief that things had a chance to get better. It was well and truly over.

"So it didn't matter that you were miserable." Reed guessed, all too familiar with Reyes' stubborn streak. He would always do what was needed, not for him, but for everyone else. And only then would he allow himself to acknowledge his own emotions and opinions.

"No. I'm the one that made the mess, I'm the one that owes them that much. I wasn't going to give them another father who they didn't get to say goodbye to, before he disappeared." Reyes shrugged it off as if it was no big deal. But it was. He had been unhappy in his marriage for five long years, wanting out, wanting to escape, but staying only because those who professed to hate him needed him. It made no sense, and then Reed began to wonder. Maybe he was scared that Faith would fight for Elyse and Magnus and put them through hell.