Chapter 51

I could tell that Taureen was somewhat agitated, despite having me draped around his neck like a scarf while thrumming comfortingly. His irritation was building as he kept glancing at the clock. Truth be told, I won't be much better shortly. Neither of us were looking forward to the next six hours of separation.

I wasn't out of sorts since he hadn't left yet. My head knew that he would have to leave shortly, but my heart saw that he was still here and was content. At this moment, the short-sightedness of my instincts was a blessing, and my relaxed state was keeping Taureen in a level state of mind. I don't particularly want to imagine what he would be like if I was radiating distress.

From several comments I had overheard, he had not been fun to be around on the shuttle the last time. I wasn't sure why he was so worked up this time though. I nuzzled his chin, commenting, "I do not recall you being like this last time before you left."

He sighed and stopped pacing. "I didn't realize how bad it was last time, and I am not looking forward to it this time. How are you holding up?"

I blinked lazily. "You have not left yet. A small part of my mind knows and is slightly on edge, but it won't sink in until you are gone."

The doorbell rang and Aeria entered. Since accepting the bracelet, she never waited for him to answer the door. It didn't bother Taureen, so I dismissed her actions. Taureen sighed before pulling me against his chest, telling me, "Be good. I should be back within six hours."

I gently nibbled the edge of his chin. "I feel sorry for those flying with you. A few more months, and they won't attempt this again. Keep your head in the game enough to make sure that they don't plan anything stupid."

With a sigh, he reluctantly held me out to Aeria. She gently picked me up and cradled me against her chest in the same fashion he had done. It was not the same and I didn't particularly like it, but I let her hold me simply to keep Taureen calm.

Aeria said, "I will keep an eye on her. If she lets me put the harness on her, do you mind me taking her for a walk? It might distract her if she gets anxious. I would keep the leash on her since you won't be around."

He grudgingly nodded before turning and leaving. I blinked at his abrupt departure; even in the human world, that would have been considered dreadfully rude. Aeria sighed as she stroked my wings. She quietly said, "I feel bad for him. I know I can't imagine what it is like for him to be separated from you."

Well, at least she didn't take offense at his actions. I twisted around and climbed up on her shoulder so that I wasn't cradled in her arms. I blinked and examined her shirt; the shoulders were made of a slightly thicker material that I hadn't noticed until I walked on it.

I sniffed it and recognized the smell of the same material Taureen's hawk glove was made from. Nice, I don't have to watch my claws so closely now.

      An hour later, I was restless. I grumbled at myself, annoyed that my emotions were refusing to listen to logic. It has only been a week since the last time, why does it seem worse? This is going to be a long day...

Aeria noticed that my mood was going downhill, and she pulled out the harness. I didn't put up any resistance as she put it on. Maybe some fresh air will clear my head. It was pretty boring in the house without talking to Taureen. I was used to working seven or eight hours a day and seeing different things. Simply lazing around with nothing to do didn't sit well with me anymore.

Aeria clipped the leash on and put me on her shoulder before heading to the back garden. I remained on her shoulder as she did a few laps in the garden as a test. Once she had reassured herself that I was going to sit on her shoulder without any problems, she let herself out the back gate.