T W E N T Y - F I V E

Betrayal

THE SKY DARKENED into an ominous pitch black as thunder and lightning clashed outside the walls of the boathouse. With a crack, the sky split into two as a bolt of white sharp lightning hit the ground, sending the world into a rumble as the winds raged on with relentless howls. The torturously creepy noises echoed in the flurry, sending the entirety of the boathouse and its nearby buildings and nature scenes into a sort of chaos.

Time was going by fast, and when it had been morning just what felt like moments ago, the clock was now at 3:00, the seconds ticking by faster than I had anticipated. We had sat here in the dark for hours, listening to the start of a light pitter-patter against the glass windows turn into a winter hurricane, crashing against the windows like pebbles being thrown from the sky. The cold weather made everything much worse, possibly even turning the rain into a hail storm as the lights stopped working, turning the world into a blanket of darkness. Those storm clouds weren't heading anywhere else anytime soon, and this pitch-black space will only serve as another obstruction to finding the rest of the group as well as our ultimate goal of finding safety.

Hiding out in a room with no amenities served as a problem as well. Through the hours, I could feel my bladder filling up, and now I was practically biting my lip down to keep from just running out of the room screaming bloody murder. My stomach felt cramped from keeping everything in and Cassiel must have noticed my pained expressions, even with the awkward tension in between us that had yet to be resolved even after our heart-to-heart session.

"You okay?" He made his way over from the corner, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

For the first time in my life, I answered that question differently as of to how I usually would. Instead of a typical 'yes I am alright', I began to shake my head, eyes forced close as I breathed out uncomfortably.

"This is actually going to sound really awkward—"

"I think nothing can pass what happened just now, actually, when we first came into the room to hide."

"—But I have to pee really badly."

I didn't know what I was expecting the second I blurted those words out, but having Cassiel topple over in ridiculous laughter was definitely not it. He clutched his stomach, finger raised to wipe a stray tear away before attempting to compose himself. All this while, my face was probably in between an annoyed expression and one that was scrunched up in indescribable pain and urgency. To think that he could be laughing at my discomfort was definitely not going to end up well in my books.

"Geez, Addison, I did not know that you were actually so blunt. You really do learn new things every day, apparently." There was a playful smirk to his face, and I resisted the urge to slap him just there and then.

Snorting, I folded my arms across my chest, eyes rolling dramatically before pushing against the floor to stand up. My steps were wobbly but in the end, I managed to get up just fine with no help. "When a girl's got to go, a girl's got to go. Now stop giggling like a cursed love sick school girl and help me out."

At my words, Cassiel only laughed even harder, clutching his stomach as he laughed in glee, slapping his knee with loud chuckles. With the best glare I could, I threw him a dirty look which caused him to slow down the laughter a little bit. Though, it was only reduced to biting his lip with muffled and muted giggles that caused his shoulders to quake.

"Alright, alright," he said, waving a single hand with a mischievous grin.

Opening just a small fraction of the door, I curiously peeked out, eyes darting left and right before opening the door fully once I deemed the situation safe. The hallways seemed very much deserted and there was no frost or ice lining the old wooden walls of the corridor for as far as I could see. I took that as a good news for it was evidence to prove that those dreaded ghouls were nowhere near where we were for now.