Chapter 13 •Who's This From?•

There it laid. In all it's baby blue, rectangular glory an envelope was sitting right on my 'welcome' mat in front of my door.

I reluctantly picked it up and walked into my penthouse. Sitting on a stool in the kitchen I looked inside the envelope to see a medium sized sheet of paper.

I gasped as I read the poem:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue
Before you build your empire,
I'll make sure to ruin you

Lilies are white,
Thorns are prickly
When you least expect it,
I'll dispose of you quickly.

~ Ice Queen

I must've read it about ten times. My heart began racing as I took in the not-so-subtle threat.

"Is this some kind of joke!?", I shrieked.

"Hey, you okay?", Audrey poked her head in the kitchen.

"I, ugh", I sighed not knowing if to show Audrey the note or not. She had her own problems already. This is probably some sick prank.

"I'm... fine", I rubbed my temples closing my eyes.

I jumped ten feet in the air when I felt Audrey craning her neck over my shoulder. She almost gave me a heart attack!

"What the hell?", she furrowed her eyebrows, "Where'd this come from?".

"I don't know, it was lying on the mat when I got back. No address, name or anything. Who could Ice Queen possibly be?", I asked no one in particular.

"That's just messed up. Don't worry about it. Some son-of-a-bitch just had a lot of spare time and decided to pull a prank as lame as this. Just don't fret over it", she placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Thanks", I smiled at her. Audrey and I have become close over the time she's been here. We even have a routine. I make breakfast for us on week days while she cooks dinner. On the weekends we switch.

"No problem. So I'm assuming you ate on your date with Luke so I didn't cook dinner. I just ordered pizza so if you're hungry there's two slices in the fridge", she informed as she sipped a can of Sprite.

"I'm not really hungry, I'm going to bed. Remember to drink some water before you call it a night", I gave her a pointed look, "And it wasn't a date".

She rolled her eyes, "Yes, Mom", she groaned.

"I'm serious, I don't want to wake up to your barfing sounds in the middle of the night because someone forgot how her body reacts to certain things she consumes before bed", I slid out of the kitchen.

"Yeah, yeah", Audrey murmured. She very well knew that I was right. If she drank anything other than water before she goes to bed she'll just bring it back up.

•••

"What?! I specifically scheduled you people to start working today. Not tomorrow or next week!", I groaned and ended the call.

Everything was already planned. I had all the material for the construction workers to start today but for some unknown reason they can't make it.

I spent so much time organizating everything with Audrey and now they can't make it? I don't have time to waste. I'll just get new ones to start working as soon as Friday.

Everything will have to be delayed because of this. I'll have to push back the dates I have scheduled for everything as soon as the building is started.