XI.Charlotte The Jealousy Instigator

Chapter 11: Charlotte The Jealousy Instigator

~. . . . ~

An original short story

By TheBirdWhoCannotFly

~. . . .~

Adrian~

The day I most dreaded came sooner than of course I hoped. It was Saturday. The day of the party. The party I want no part of. Tony invited most of the school. I hoped barely anyone came. Tony, Jamie, and Jay were all downstairs setting stuff up. Tony just so happened to have a pair of very large speakers. Dance music is going to blasting from them, sending a thumping beat throughout the house.

They all wanted to set it up themselves. I kept saying how it was, unfortunately, my party and that I should be helping. Jamie would have none of it, though. He told me to get ready. So, here I stood. Ready as I'll ever be. Which, by the way, I was not ready at all. A reflection stared back at me in the mirror. It looked so... foreign. My eyes were a brighter green than usual, making them stand out against my pale skin. My freckles were not so visible. My hair was streightened, like always. Except, it was fluffier and was actually working with me today. My face was completely clear of bruises. That was the weirdest part. I looked so normal. But I still stood out. My lips were a more plump pink. 

A black sweater clung to my torso. It was a nice, knit sweater, but it was completely black. I wore some nice blue jeans and pair of red Toms. I'll be honest and say, well, I looked pretty good. Healthy. You know? Nervousness and anxiety gathered in my stomach, making me uncomfortable. I paced around my room, trying to calm down. What if things went horribly wrong? People from school already don't exactly like me. If the party is lame, I'll never hear the end of it.

There was a knock on the door. 

"Come in." I said and dropped down on my bed, putting my head in my hands. The door opened and closed. The bed dipped beside me as an arm went around my shoulders. I knew immediately that it was Jamie.

"What wrong?" He said, his English accent making him sound proper.

"Just nervous." I mumbled. He stood and pulled my wrist up with him. I sucked in a breath. My cuts were still not fully healed and they still stung a little. Once I was on my feet, Jamie looked at me. And no, not a glance. I mean, he really looked at me. I squirmed under his scrutinizing gaze. "What...?" I wondered.

"You just look so..." he stopped, trying to figure out what word to use,"Attractive? Handsome? It's just, I don't know. I'm so used to seeing you bruised... Seeing your clear face makes you look unbelievably, well, hot." His cheeks reddened, embarrassed. I felt my own redden and I smiled.

"I suppose I look a little different." 

"No, I mean you look almost unrecognizable. Well, you look amazing." He said while pecking my pink and heated cheek.

"Thank you. And you don't look too bad yourself." I smirked. It was true. But he always looked perfect. "So, are you guys done down there?"

He nodded. "Yeah. Jay left. Never said where he was going though but he said to text him when everyone was gone." I nodded.

"What if no one comes? I mean it's me. The kid who's always bruised and fainting in the middle of school. I woundn't be surprised." And I wouldn't be completely devastated, but it would sting a little. Jamie put his hands on either side of my face, rubbing my protruding cheekbones with his thumbs. It soothed some of the worry, but not a lot.

"If no one comes, it's their loss. We'll have our own party." He smiled gently. That didn't sound too bad, honestly. It probably what I would have done anyways. I pecked him on the lips and hugged him tight. Jamie's amazing. He understands. Having social anxiety isn't just being lazy, or acting like a third grader. It's not as easy to say "Hey, grow up. They're just people. Why would you be scared? Don't be." As much as I wish it was that easy, it's not. Saying that don't make the doubts and fear of being judged by others go away. It'll always be there.