onze

If Alice's relationship with Elsbeth could be described in one word, it would be: complicated.

There had been so many movies Alice had watched with evil stepmothers, Cinderella being the one she most remembered. Ever since Elsbeth stepped into Alice's life, she always thought of her as an enemy. She had been the person who replaced her mother in the family, and at fifteen years old, Alice couldn't see it in any other way.

Alice promised herself the day she met Elsbeth that she'd give her a chance. Her father loved her and chose to marry her, so she couldn't be that terrible. But it wasn't long until Alice started seeing Elsbeth as her evil stepmother when she started making changes to what Alice had always been used to when her mother was around.

For one, Elsbeth somehow convinced Alice's father to find her an after school tutor for most of her subjects. Alice didn't fail her classes, but Elsbeth wanted her to do even better. And as Alice grew by the years, she realised that despite her strict rules of upbringing, Elsbeth wasn't all too bad. Not all the time, at least. There were even times when Elsbeth showed the slightest concern for Alice. Such as right now.

"Tonight is a big night," Elsbeth said, watching closely as Alice added the last touch to her outfit, "I must remind you to be on your best behaviour in front of our guests."

Alice nodded slowly, but Elsbeth must have noticed the troubled expression plastered on her face.

"Don't tell me you're frightened."

"I'm not frightened," Alice snapped, but soon caught herself when she noticed Elsbeth's concern, "I just . . . don't feel ready for this. Not yet, at least."

Elsbeth heaved a sigh, finding her place beside Alice, "You know, just because you're engaged to this young man, it doesn't mean you have to marry until you're ready. I know it's what your father and I want for you, but you also should know this is for your own good."

Alice shook her head, "Look, none of this makes sense. I haven't even finished high school and you're setting me up for marriage? It's like you both can't trust me to make my own decisions."

"I know it sounds impetuous," Elsbeth replied carefully, "But you'll worry none for your future because of this marriage. And your father doesn't want you to make the same mistakes he made."

"Marrying my mother was the mistake?" Alice drew her eyes away from Elsbeth. Everything was making sense now. It was all too clear. Her father wanted her to marry into another family for the money.

"You know I didn't mean it like that," Elsbeth made her way to the door, "And I know you don't like the idea of this, but at least give it a chance. They're a good family."

Alice stood from her bed, muttering to herself as she picked up her hairbrush. If she didn't need to marry now, why did they go through the trouble to find a family to propose marriage to her?

Elsbeth paused by the door, glancing back at Alice who was now noticeably irritated.

"This shouldn't trouble you at all, Alice. It's purpose is to ultimately make everything easier for you, unless . . . there's already somebody?"

Alice didn't reply, and instead focused on brushing through her hair. Of course, there was already someone. And the fact that there's already someone is the main reason why Alice knows she'll never go through with this. It didn't matter what this rich family had to offer— she was happy with what she had, who she had. And right now, she had Neil Perry.

If she could just get through the night, make it clear that she wasn't interested, perhaps it will all be over. Despite Elsbeth reminding her this arrangement was irreversible, this young man might want the same thing as her. No one likes an arranged marriage. Alice was so sure she could find her way out of this one.

* * *

Alice's hair had never been curled so beautifully before.

Her hair had always been lengthy and straight, and she never really styled it in such a curled fashion unless the occasion were to call for it. Alice looked at herself in her reflection, admiring her hours of hard work and sore arms.

Satisfied with her look, she finally stepped away from the dressing table to head downstairs. Deep down, Alice had been quite nervous about meeting this man and his parents despite the plan she'd carefully come up with in her head. Meeting new people for the first time was something she didn't take lightly, and she always wished to make a good first impression. She knew that was important if she wanted the night to go her way.

Descending the staircase, Alice felt her heart racing. It was like she was slowly unveiling one of the world's greatest mysteries— she had no idea what to expect when she'd reach the bottom. Alice was careful to pace herself, her nerves taking a great toll on her confidence.

Five minutes ago, she had been so set on marching down the steps and telling both parties how she felt about all of this. But all of that went down the drain when it came down to this moment. Cursing herself under her breath, Alice mustered up all the courage she had in herself, taking the last few steps down in a quicker pace.

Alice had almost congratulated herself when she entered the dining room, unsure whether she was ever going to make it or not. She felt so off about the dinner, she even thought about sneaking out of the bathroom window. But she knew that would always end badly— she'd eventually come home and her father would never forgive her after that. Perhaps it  was time to stop whining and act like a grown girl for once.

Putting on her best smile, Alice nervously avoided looking straight at the guests as she entered the room. She glanced at her father who sat at the end of the table, a small but approving smile curved on his lips. Skipping the lecture about her tardiness, he gestured towards the man and woman on his left, introducing them to his daughter.

Alice parted her lips to greet them, thankful that they seemed like a very kind and forgiving couple. Sitting across them was their son, who had a vacant seat right beside him. He didn't turn to face her just yet, but when he did, Alice felt her stomach drop. Their son was Charlie Dalton.