Chapter twelve

Terra drives Reece and I back to their house after he's discharged from the hospital. The doctors told him to just take it easy for the next few days and to come back if any other symptoms occur. The drive is spent in a comfortable quiet with the only noise being the radio playing. I text Luke to tell Dad where I am and that I won't be home for dinner.

    "You two can hang out while I get dinner ready. Is chicken breast okay with you, Quinn? Do you have any allergies?"

    "Chicken breast is great and no allergies," I reply.

    She nods. "Go on you two, leave me to my domain."

    Reece's fingers wrap around my wrist as he tugs me away from the kitchen and up the stairs to the second floor. The walls are painted a light brown and are accented cream coloured decor to match the rug that I glimpsed in the living room. The rest of the flooring is a rich dark hardwood that looks so glossy it could have been freshly waxed yesterday.

    His room is exactly the way I see it through my bedroom window with black furniture and navy blue walls. His king size bed is placed in the center of the room, the window facing mine is on the wall directly across from the door, opposite the bed is an entertainment unit complete with a large TV and multiple gaming consoles.

    Reece plops down on his bed throwing his arm over his eyes. He sighs heavily and I get the feeling he doesn't really want me to be here right now. My fingers fidget as I stand awkwardly in the doorway and I'm seriously considering going back downstairs. Hanging out with Terra would be way better than standing here while Reece takes a nap.

    "Do you want me to leave?" I ask quietly, afraid that he's asleep.

    His arm moves up a fraction and he peeks out at me. "No. You can sit if you want."

    Shuffling further into the room, I take a seat on the edge of the bed and fold my hands together on my lap.

    "So..."

    Reece breathes out a laugh, "so..."

    "Are you just gonna lie there or...?"

    He heaves himself up onto his elbows and looks at me. "What else do you want to do?"

    "Hmm," I murmur and then smirk, "I could kick your ass at Infinite Warfare."

    His eyebrows shoot up. "You play?"

    "I wouldn't have offered to hand your ass to you on a silver platter if I didn't," I roll my eyes.

    "Oh, it's on."

    And that's how I found myself, an hour later, shouting at Reece to get it together. After I had beat him multiple times, we decided to join a team online.

    "You get it together! I have more kills than you."

    "We're on the same team, idiot."

    "You're the idiot."

    "Great comeback."

    Terra leans her head into the doorway, "What's with all the shouting?"

    "Sorry Aunt Terra, I'm just kicking Quinn's ass at Infinite Warfare."

    I gasp. "You sit on a throne of lies!"

    "Sorry to say this," Terra laughs, "but I believe Quinn on this one."

    "What!?" Reece gapes. "You're supposed to be on my side. We're family, Terra, flesh and blood."