Chapter 37

all rights reserved/ 2016

The Immortals

CHAPTER 37

I don't remember falling asleep on Caine shoulder, just waking up with my legs around his torso and his arm under my butt. My arms were hanging around his neck,I traced his back lightly with my fingertips. Caine  was standing in the living room on the second floor. I stared out the window.

"... Caine?" My voice was small and scratchy from screaming.

" Yes Lilianna." His voice vibrated throughout his chest. I shivered.

"Why did you treat me so badly...Why did you hate me so much?" I asked with my cheek pressed to his shoulder.

He sighed, "I don't know."

" That's not fair."

He grunted, "... I didn't know what to do with you Lila. My mother never lived to see me and my father hated me- I guess I forgot what it was like to love someone." He said.

I lifted my head, "there's still a difference between loving someone and treating them decently-" I scrunched up my nose.

His voice was tense, "I grew up thinking women were nothing but property. They served you. I was always the important one. They were nothing but objects to be owned."

" I'm my own person, Caine."

He lightly pushed my head back down on his shoulder, "I know Lila."

" You hurt me Caine," I whispered, tears forming in my eyes. I blinked to keep them from falling.

He rubbed my back, "I know."

" You're a bad mate."

Caine grunted, " I'm sorry Lila."

I sighed, tugging at the hair at the nape of his neck.

" How did you know I was called Lila?"

He stopped moving.

"I never told you that people called me that- so how did you know," I had always wondered this but the question wasn't important enough in usual situations.

"-somehow I just knew that's what you were called. It makes you uncomfortable when I call you Lilianna," Caine's answer surprised me.

"Which is why I'll call you that sometimes-"

" You do it when you want to punish me," I pointed out dryly.

"I like the way your name sounds," he admitted.

" Okay Mckenzie," I said.

"I hate that name."

"I know."

We were silent for a long time. The smell and sounds of the sleeping pack brought peacefulness. I lifted my head up and looked at Caine.

"He looks just like you, Caine," I sniffed, searching his face.

" Octaves really messed you up, Lila," he replied darkly.  He stepped back and sat down on the couch, I curled my legs underneath me.

I squeezed my eyes shut, " when you say things like that, I want to slap you..." I mumbled to him, turning my head and laying it down on his shoulder.

" I don't mean to upset you," He said, lifting me by the shoulders and making me look at his face.

"I know... But you do anyway. I can't help getting upset at you- you make it so easy. Every-"