Chapter Five

The morning sun was shining through the doorway of another room, shining onto my face and waking me from the hazy sleep. I lay there for a few moments before I start to move. I open my eyes and look around the room in a sort of daze before I remember where I am at. I sit upright quickly but found that I hadn't moved at all through the night. I was still on the couch where I fell asleep. My eyes quickly catch Killian and find that he hadn't moved at all either. Another slight smile pulled at my lips at the sight but I quickly push it away. What was happening to me?

Pushing back the covers far enough to escape without waking him, I silently stalk away on tip-toes, a habit from when I was younger, in search of the bathroom. The house was big enough to get lost in, and I found myself turning around multiple times to retrace my steps so that didn't happen. But my curiosity also got the better of me and I open different doors just to see where they would lead. I was sure Killian had nothing to hide, anyway.

The house was a lot bigger than it seemed, and, though I was lost in my exploration of the different rooms, I managed to find a bathroom. I could almost laugh at how much bigger this one was than the one back at my dorm I shared with two other girls. The bathroom had warm, soft tones to it and a mirror large enough to see yourself in completely if you stood back just a little ways from the sink. A large walk-in shower was nestled in a corner, a stone wall dividing it from the rest of the bathroom itself. The tiled floor was cool to my feet but it wasn't an uncomfortable cold, the air warm and fresh.

I immediately look at my reflection, studying my hair and makeup quickly. My makeup had smeared around my dark chocolate colored eyes and my hair seemed lopsided with tangles. I left my clothes out of my mind as I couldn't exactly help that detail. I had nothing with me since I didn't plan on staying, either. Frowning slightly, I start to silently look through the drawers in search of the one thing I want most right now, but didn't find it without much surprise. Sighing, I turn on the water and run it until it gets warms, then wet my face. Carefully, I remove the smeared makeup around my eyes until it's all off. I frown at how plain I looked. I felt vulnerable and more than a little out of my comfort. It felt odd not having it on with someone else around me. This never happened before and I really couldn't come to terms with how I felt about it.

Turning away from my reflection, I begin to run my fingers through my hair in an attempt to straighten it. At least I could get some of the tangles out that were created during the night. As I did that, I put away and clean up the mess I managed to make before finding my way back to the living room.

Killian had just woken up, I knew, as he was stretching. Smiling again, I make my way up to him. Considering the circumstances I was in a relatively good mood. I could only place it with the lack of stress I was feeling right now.

"Morning Killian!" I greet, leaning over the back of the couch next to him.

"Good morning Reese. I hope you slept better than I did." He winced as if to prove his point as he stretched out his back but quickly stood up, a smile curling the edges of his lips as he looked down on me. "Well, you certainly seem bouncy today."

My smile was gone almost immediately at his words. "You didn't sleep well?" I ask quickly, sincere even as my smile found my lips again, unable to keep it off. "Bouncy? Is that what people say these days?" I tease. "Well, anyway, you should probably fix your hair, silly!"

I begin my attempt at straightening the mess atop of his head, but my attempts seemed futile. I was somewhat surprised he was patient enough for me to try and fix it for him, rather than brushing me off like most guys would have. I give up after about a minute as nothing I did seemed to work. It just seemed to get messier anyway. Why I wanted to fix it, though, I am not too sure the reason, but it amazed me how soft his hair was. It was like... well, I don't really have anything to compare it too. Guys with longer hair... Killian could pull it off easily. He knew how to style it in a way that fit him rather than leaving it hang in his face. I really hate that.