CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Dancing was marvelous. Enfri never would have imagined that she could move like this. Her feet tapped in time with Goodman Smith's old, worn lute and Goodwife Cooper's reed pipes.

The trading post was the single largest structure in Sandharbor. It wasn't made of wood or stone, but sheets of cotton or linen cloth strung between tall poles set into the foundation. It was an open-air market at the center of the village. The more well-off of the itinerate merchants liked to display their means by draping silk or satin near their own sections. Every sheet a different color, a riotous display that every villager had long grown accustomed to.

The merchant stalls and goods were gone. They were replaced by performance platforms, dozens of kegs of Goodman Brewer's latest vintage, and the smiling and laughing faces of the people of Sandharbor. Festivals brought out the best in the local folk, and there was never a shortage of goodwill during these times.

Throughout the day, there were music competitions, archery contests, races, wrestling, and sporting events. But the dancing was what Enfri enjoyed most.

She spun from Illmar Tanner to his older brother Thadwyn. Thad took Enfri by the waist, his steps perfectly in sync with hers. His blocky face was split by his grin, and his cheeks were flushed when he saw who he now had in his arms.

His hand was slow in releasing Enfri as the music called for partners to switch, but she was eagerly snatched up by Nchika, the forester's apprentice. Now Enfri was the one blushing. Winds, but no man had a right to be so lovely.

After handing her off, Nchika stole glances at Enfri over the shoulder of Kiffa Smith, much to the younger girl's chagrin. Enfri's new partner, Goodman Wainwright, winked at her when she missed a step; the spry, old coot knew precisely where her mind was at.

Her next partner was Haythe, and Enfri chided him for stepping on her feet before the music signaled for her to hand him back to his wife. Then was Goodman Butcher, Alstai Thatcher, Goodman Cobbler, and finally Dilly Tanner, the youngest of the three Tanner brothers.

The lute and pipes slowed, and the women and men lined up opposite each other. Enfri found herself linking arms with Kiffa Smith and Goodwife Cobbler. The lines approached the center of the floor, the men sliding underneath the womens' arms and taking them by the waist.

Enfri's partner was a dark-skinned man with blond hair and green eyes. He was beaming as he lifted Enfri into the air and set her behind him. Father enjoyed these festival dances even more than Enfri did. There was no better dancing partner in all the Five Kingdoms.

The music faded, and Father patted Enfri on her back, straight and tall. The other dancers were falling over one another in merriment as they returned to the circles of friends and neighbors around the kegs of ale.

Father took Enfri by the hand and led her towards a corner of the trading post, one by a large curtain of silver silk. Enfri's two grandmothers sat on stools there, chatting like young girls. Father let go of Enfri's hand and went to Mother.

Mierwyn was beautiful tonight, even more than she usually was. She grew more lovely every year, forever the jewel of Sandharbor. Mother looked at Enfri and smiled.

Enfri felt tears well up in her eyes, but she couldn't imagine why. Her family stood before her as they always had. As they always would.

"I would not have imagined," someone said at Enfri's back. It was a soft voice, deliberate in tempo and also dark. The feminine voice was close to Enfri's ear and swallowed all other sound in the festival. "This is what you dream of?"

Enfri blinked. Only three people were in front of her now. Janwyn sat alone and spoke to no one.

"What I dream of?" Enfri whispered.