Prologue... Thing?

Hellooo~ Everybody! Welcome to my newest & firstest story, (Firstest is not even a word, but it is now in MY dictionary...) The Hunter in Red. Super hyped for this story!

Now don't mind the music video and picture. They're just random and have nothing to do with the story. XD Shout out to all the Steven Universe fans! *^*)7

Alright, alright. Enough with the extra stuffs. Let's get you reading that prologue now, shall we?

Kirby, out!

[Year 1591]

"Sammy!" A voice yelled. "Sammy, you need to get up, now!" The voice yelled once more, effectively waking me up. I sat up in my bed, rubbed the sleep from my eyes and opened them to see my mother staring at me with scared eyes.

"Momma," I groan, not liking to be suddenly awoken. "what's going on?"

"Sammy, take this." She pushes a large potato sack into my arms. "Take this and put however many clothes you can fit into it. When you do, you need to leave through that window, jump down, and run. Don't look back, or don't come back. No matter what you hear. Okay?" She says as she begins to tear up.

"Momma why--" I begin but I'm only stopped as my mother puts a finger to my lips.

"Don't question, just go. Okay? Momma, papa, and your brother all love you very much okay?" She says as tears finally fall down her face. She leans closer to me and kisses my forehead. "We love you. So, so much. Now, go. Hurry!"

She hastily exits the room just as I hear a loud bang, as if a door was forcefully slammed open, and a bunch of growls are heard. I throw my blankets off and run to my small closet. (A/N: Were closets around this time, around the 16th century? Sorry, I'm a lazy author and don't do research. So let's just say so if they weren't around...) I grabbed every piece of clothing I had and stuffed it into the sack. I had room for a few other things. So my first thought was Toby. My stuffed rag bear my father made me. (A/N: THIS IS ALSO GONNA BE A THING FOR THE 16TH CENTURY.) I shoved the bear into the bag and twisted the top of the bag to somewhat seal it and I ran to my window. I opened it and stepped out onto the roof. I could hear a bunch of growls coming from the other side of the house. That means, that whatever my mother is telling me to run away from, is in the kitchen.

I slid to the edge of the roof and dropped my bag to the ground. Grabbing the edge of the roof, I threw myself over the ledge, hung there for a few seconds and hopped down. When I landed I grabbed my bag, but froze when I heard a loud anguished scream. To be more specific, my mothers anguished scream. I almost went to run back to find out what exactly was going on but I caught myself and remembered my mothers words.

"Don't look back, or don't come back. No matter what you hear. Okay?"

This brought tears to my eyes but I ignored my screaming mind and began running away from my house and began down the trail to the nearby town.

////

Once I arrived at the gates that lead to the town, I fell to my knees. Completely out of breath. The local gate guards saw me and ran towards me.

They began to bombard me with all sorts of questions. But the only sort of thing I manage out was

"Water..."

The guards looked at each other and one lifted me bridal style and carried me through the large gates.

Once we walked, or they both walked, with me being carried in one of their arms, into the main plaza the place was suddenly extremely bright. I flinched and moved my arm to cover my eyes. Soon it became tolerable so I removed my arm. Just in time to see one of the guards bring me to a large, wooden, mansion sort of thing. In the main lobby was a bunch of children playing with toys and walking towards us was a dark woman.

She had worry in her eyes once she saw me in the guard's arms.

"Found him about to collapse outside the gates. No one was with him so I only assumed..." The guard tried, then began motioning his hands, hoping the lady would understand something?

The lady shook her head as if understanding the guard's message and she reached out and the guard placed me into her arms.

"Ah, also," the guard began. "He wanted some water." After that last message, the guard disappeared out of the building.

I looked up slowly and the lady smiled down at me.

"Come child, let's get you some water and get you all fixed up." She says cheerfully and sets me down on my feet.

I wobbled, but only for a second as I regained my balance. She walked had me follow her through a doorway into what appeared to be a kitchen slash dining hall. She led me to the kitchen part and grabbed a wooden cup, leaving the kitchen through a door and coming in again with a full glass. I only assumed there be a full bucket of water out that door.

Without a word I lifted the cup to my mouth and chugged the whole thing down. I wiped my mouth of the water that slipped out of the cup and didn't quite get into my mouth. I gave the wooden cup back to the lady and whispered a barely audible "Thank you." The lady then leaned down in front of me and smile.

"Now child, what were you doing outside the gates, alone, and even in the middle of the night?"

Just thinking about what could've happened as I left made me want to become sick, so I just shook my head no, tears threatening to spill. The lady then sighed at me for not wanting to share.

"Why don't you tell me your age and name then boy?" She asked one last time.

I was hesitant to trust her but just ended up spilling the slight info out.

"Sammuel James... I'm 9 years old..."

"Well, Sammuel, I'm Missouri Harte. Welcome to the La Roux Orphanage."