[Chapter 8] Change of Heart

I looked out my window and saw a shadow approach my front door. He raised his hand and knocked on the door. I gasped - what if it was those one of those dicks who killed Seth? What if they came to find me and kill me too?

Liam walked up to the door and opened it.

"Is Brooklyn here?" A familiar voice asked - but I couldn't connect the voice with a face.

Liam looked over to me and returned his gaze to the person at the door. "Why? Who's asking?"

"It's Ian." The shadow answered. I put my hand over my mouth to cover the gasp that escaped my lips. He continued to explain, "Anthony's pretty mad at me and I think spending some time with her would hopefully make things all better between us."

Liam passed a glance at me. I back off of the couch that I was kneeling on. I walked up behind Liam and looked over his shoulder. It was sure Ian, and he looked like shit. He had looked like he just saw a ghost or something.

A slight smile crossed Ian's face. "Hey, Brooklyn."

"Hi." I replied softly.

"I was wondering if we could go out for coffee or something."

I looked up at Liam for guidance, but he did the same to me. He's no use at all, except for embarrassing me with his parental nature. I stepped out from behind Liam and shook my head. "Sure."

Liam gently places his hand on the middle of my lower back and pushed me slightly forward. I stumbled and grabbed onto the door so I wouldn't fall.

Ian laughed. "Let's go. I'll drive."

I slowly walked in front of him and continued walking towards his driveway. I heard the sound of our front door closing and locking, and the next I know, Ian was walking beside me.

He got in on the driver's side and I on the passenger's side. We drove in silence for a few blocks, then he broke the reticence with the simple but meaningful statement, "You intimidate me."

I looked at him in shock. "Why?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know why..." He turned right on a corner. "...it's just, I think I'm afraid of losing Anthony."

"Are you two like dating or something?" I asked, speaking before thinking.

He chuckled. "Nah. We're just really tight. We're kind of like brothers. You know what I mean?"

"If you're brothers, why are you afraid of losing him?"

"He's really popular. Has a lot of friends. And he's my only friend. I'm just scared that one day he's going to find some girl - in this case, you - and leave me."

I smirked. "You don't have to worry about that, Ian. I'm still pretty in shock about what happened back in Cape Cod."

"What happened at Cape Cod?"

I scratched my head. "Uh...I'd rather not say. Just meeting you and all..."

"I understand." He said softly.

We were in total quietness again, until he yet again broke the silence. "Can I tell you something?"

"Of course." I replied, turning my attention to him.

He took a big breath in and out, "Last night, when I said I knew who you were, I was bluffing. I just wanted you to think I was..."

"A total dick?"

He sneered. "No. Just...I wanted you to stay away from him. And that's what came to my mind. I'm not really a fighter kind of guy, I'm a lover." He glanced over at me.