Chapter 30

I look to the clock that's on the bedside table. I'm in one of the spare rooms. It's grand, just like Bens. There's a four poster bed with cream bedding on it. The bedside tables are a light wood with lamps on it. The lamps are cream too and the floor is a light wood with a big light blue rug in the middle of the room, at the bottom of the bed. The windows are bay windows, from the ceiling to the floor and there's doors in the middle of the room going out onto a small balcony. Each time I discover a new room, I realise that there's so much of this place that I've never seen. In pride and Prejudice, this would be a huge estate, given to the wealthiest man around and in an hour it'll be my packs home, it'll be my home.

I stand in the centre of the room feeling like a spare part. My mom and aunts are faffing around me as I look into the mirror that's in the corner of the room. The reflection who stares back at me is almost unrecognisable. The person who stares back is a woman. Her posture is straight, she looks confident in her posture but scared in her eyes, like a dear in the headlights. 2 weeks ago I was nervous about going to school, now I'm nervous about walking downstairs to take on the responsibilities of the pack. My windows look out onto the garden but my mom won't let me anywhere near them. I can hear people arriving, the sound is picking up more and more which is increasing my nerves. 

I keep asking myself 'what am I really scared about?' What is there to be scared about? I think of the last time I saw Ben which was in the library, my favourite place, the place that I felt the most calm in. I keep trying to remember how soft his eyes were and how kind his smile was, my calmness comes at me in waves, it washes over me each time I think back. My mom and aunts are no hope with calming me at this moment in time as they adjust the emerald green dress that's stuck to my body. The material of the dress feel like it's getting tighter with every second that passes. My breasts have never been big but they feel like they're about to pop out of the corset top of the satin dress.

"You look beautiful Arabella" My mum gushes as she claps her hands together and places them in front of her mouth. She has the look of a proud mother and I bite my lip, looking again at the woman who stares back at me. My hair is in a low bun with loose curls falling here and there around my face. I look like I'm ten years older. My makeup is light but makes a hell of a difference. My blusher is giving a little more life in my cheeks, the pink lipstick makes them stand out even more and my hair style makes my jaw look more defined than it ever has.

"I look-"

"Stunning" My aunts cut in.

I gulp. "I was going to say different."

"Of course you look different, everything changes from this moment onwards." My mom says.

My eyes widen, this isn't what I wanted or needed to hear and there's no way of unhearing that. "Everything?"

"My dear, you're going to be the person everyone looks up to. You'll have the power of a pack of wolves within you, everything changes but for the better" My aunt Rissa chips in, being the calm influence that she always has been.

My Aunt Gemma pulls a slight face "better, debatable, they are still wolves after all."

"Aunt Gemma" I warn "They're my family now"

She sighs heavily, adjusting her own dress in the mirror "I mean, they're not yet but-" My mom shoots her a look which she catches a glimpse of "What? I was about to say that I understand!"

My mom changes her expression and nods slowly "Good. Arabella needs all of our support today"

"Speaking of support" I say "Where's Grandma?"

They all look to eachother "We're not sure of that actually, she's not been around all day"

I frown "And no one though to raise suspicion on this?"