Chapter 1

Earl Walker twisted in his wheelchair and took his eyes off the small television screen long enough to point. “You missed a spot over there.”

Feather duster in hand, Jenny Hutton wrinkled her nose. “You know, Mr. Walker, I didn’t come here to dust. I’m not your maid.” She stood there awkwardly.

Earl leaned forward in his chair, rubbing his hand over his closely cropped gray hair. “You told me that you wanted to be useful.”

“No, I said I wanted you to be useful.” She stopped, her eyes widening. “I mean, I’m here to help you be useful. That is, I—” She gave up, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose. “Um, where did you say that dust was?”

He pointed. “Over there.”

Jenny resumed dusting. “This apartment is twice the size of my dorm room.”

Earl’s living arrangements at Candlewick Retirement Community included a living room, bedroom, kitchenette, half dining room, and bathroom.

Jenny made another attempt at conversation. “My name is Jenny Hutton. Jenny. And I’ll be visiting you here at Candlewick every Saturday.” She scooted the small television on the dresser to the left and began moving dust around. “I’m a volunteer from my church.”

She scooted the television back into place and looked at Earl again. He supposed his red flannel shirt clashed with the afghan across his knees, but he didn’t bother with appearances—even for a young female visitor.

“And I appreciate it.” Earl glanced over from his TV. “How about getting that behind the dresser?”

“Where?” Jenny squinted. “Oh—I didn’t see that because I was standing over here.” She glanced at his wheelchair, and her face turned red. “Oh! Wait! I didn’t—” She went to a chair and sat. After a moment she spoke again in a soft voice. “Maybe we could just talk.” She looked at his television show. “What are you watching there?”

He grunted. “It’s pro wrestling. They have it on every Saturday.”

Jenny watched the TV a few minutes. Then she glanced over at Earl, who quickly feigned riveted attention to the action onscreen. “How can you watch this stuff? You know it’s all made up, right?”

“Of course. It’s television.” He pointed to the fracas on the screen. “Like this right here. The Annoyed Aztec and Joe ‘Voodoo’ Mortimer are having—well, let’s just say—their differences.”

“He hit the guy over the head with a chair.”

“Like what I said: ‘differences.’ ”

Wrinkling her brow, Jenny got up from the chair and went to the television. “Would you mind if we didn’t watch this right now?” She shut off the set.

“Hey! Idol Hanz is going to be in the next match!”

“Please.”

Earl’s shoulders sagged. “Fine.”

Jenny smiled and went to the curtains, tying them back. Light burst into the room. “There! That’s better. You need sunshine—it’s got vitamin D.”

He grunted. “I don’t know if I believe that.”

“Of course it does. They did a study.”

“Pfft. That what they teach you in college?”

“Um, no. Actually, I’m studying to be a counselor.” Returning to the chair, Jenny looked at the collection of framed photographs on the coffee table. She grabbed one of them and picked it up for a closer look. “Is this you with your wife? She’s pretty.”