Chapter 25

(Y/n)'s pov

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and yawned as I walked towards the school entrance.

"Hey, stranger." Ally said as she walked next to me.

"No stranger than you." I said. "Did you get my message last night?"

"Nah, I was up late studying for midterms."

"Yours or Demi's?"

"Both, actually."

"Good luck with that."

"(Y/n), you're cool with this, right? Because last week, when you said you didn't trust me..." Ally trailed off.

"I know. I didn't mean that, all right? I meant that I don't trust Demi." I finished as Lauren walked over.

"Hey, got a second?" She smiled.

"Speaking of..." Ally mumbled as she walked away.

"So, last week...sucked. Not the us part, just the mom part." She clarified. "And I just wanted to say thanks." She handed me a CD.

"Wow, thanks."

"I'm trying to fix my karma." She laughed.

"Uh-huh. Does this mean we're dating?" I asked.

"Listen, you've got a long bus ride tonight and I had some free time. It's not that big a deal." She said, avoiding the answer to my question, and walked away, leaving me confused.

-----

Ally's pov

"Ally..." I heard as someone ran up to me.

"Hey." I said when I saw Demi.

"Hey." She smiled. "Are you coming to the game tonight?"

"I don't know..."

"You should come. We always beat the Hicks."

"They're called the 'Hicks'?" I asked.

"No, but they should be. The place is all pick up trucks and mullets." She joked as I laughed, causing her smile to widen.

"It's worth the road trip. I'll look for you." She said and winked at me before walking away.

"Okay." I said.

----------

(Y/n)'s pov

After school, my mom came up to me holding dresses, a red and a black.

"Okay, what does this dress say to you?" She asked as she held it against her body.

"Uhhh... beware of crazy ladies who talk to dresses?"

"No, seriously. I need your help. Single and successful or married to her work?"

"Is this for that justice league thing?" I asked.

"Small Business League. And yes. It's one of the few times a year I get to dress up, and I'd like to look nice."

"Is Keith still going as your date?" I asked.

"He's not a date. We are just going together. Why would you say that?"

"You guys hang out a lot. You get along well."

"Well, I get along with the guy who delivers our water. Doesn't mean I'm going to date him." She laughed.

"But the guy who delivers water is not Keith."

"Where is this coming from?" She kept laughing.

"Well, I've been thinking, you know, that you're not exactly old, mom."