S2-Ep. 5.17 (R) - And So It Begins

Previously On "The Otherworlders": Tossing and turning in his bed, Sebastian can't stop thinking about their disastrous mission. But suddenly he bolts upright with an idea that, while it might not salvage the mission, it may just bring them a little redemption.

Sebastian leads Jake and Cameron into the basement of Julian's palace to release the caged circus animals. But before they can, they have a run in with a mysterious frail creature that attacks them with magic before they can subdue it, and get it back in its cage.

**********

Outside, at the back of the Palace, the boys hover by the service exit, the menagerie of animals lolling around them. The night air is thick and still, the silence punctuated by the occasional shuffle of the animals' feet.

Sebastian pulls out his phone, his face illuminated by the faint glow of the screen, "Okay, the wildlife refuge is..." he quickly checks Google maps, "...about 14.7 miles south of here." He looks up at Jake, concern etching his face. "Are you sure about this?"

"Yeah," Jake nods confidently, as his gaze flick to the animals. "Definitely."

"How long do you think it will take you?" Cameron asks.

"There and back?" Jake thinks about it for a moment. "About an hour, an hour and a half," he estimates, staring out at the dark expanse ahead of him.

"Okay, good." Sebastian nods, trying to exude a sense of confidence instead of questioning his impulsive idea. "So, I found a staircase to the roof when I was scouting earlier. I think Cameron and I will wait for you up there, Jake. That way, we can keep an eye out for any trouble brewing and also catch sight of you on your way back."

"Sounds good." Jake nods.

Then seeing the state of the polar bear, lying on the ground, wheezing shallow breaths, its arms and legs splayed out on either side of its emaciated body, Jake frowns and bends down to inspect it more closely. His worry is palpable as he gently pets the bear between the ears. "I don't think this one's going to make it," he says.

Sebastian bends down next to him, placing a hand on Jake's shoulder for support. "Oh, man. You're right. He's not looking so good."

Cameron, who's standing behind them, steps a bit closer. "I've never done it before, but I could try to create a cold cloud around him."

Sebastian looks up at Cameron. "What's a cold cloud?"

Without thinking — as if the answer should be obvious — Cameron blurts out, "A cloud of cold air."

Sebastian shrugs feebly, trying to mask his embarrassment. "Oh okay. I just didn't want to make any assumptions."

Realizing the specifics of his magic could easily be lost on a non-Enchanted, Cameron apologizes. "I'm sorry," He says as he shakes his head. Then he elaborates. "As an Elemental Mage, I can encase the bear in a cold cloud of air — well frost, really. And that should help give him more energy for the journey. If I were more skilled, I could probably encase his fur in ice. That would be ideal." He shrugs. "But he's too big and I'm not at that level yet."

Jake purses his lips. "Will the cold air last him the entire journey?"

"Honestly, I don't know," Cameron admits. "But it's worth a try. Don't you think?"

Jake nods, then steps back to give Cameron room to work.

Breathing in deeply, Cameron raises his hands, closes his eyes, and whispers a variation of the ice spell he'd used earlier in the safe room.

At first, not much happens, just puffs of cold air that emanate from Cameron's fingertips.

He frowns, beginning to doubt his ability to carry out the spell as promised. It would really suck if his power had gotten totally depleted from trying to open up the safe, and then from having to fight off that strange creature in the basement earlier that evening.