Chapter 16: Beach-A-Palooza

Steven: Here you go, Lars, my Lars!

He lifted up a poster for the yearly talent show, BEACH-A-PALOOZA. Despite how it sounds, it is quite popular and manages to draw quite a crowd. Participants show off their talents or skills to win a reward, which varies each year-it could be money, an item, or even just a hug from the mayor. The event is as quirky as the folks who live there.

Lars looked down at him.

Lars: Thanks, I suppose?

He was going to the show anyway, as their establishment had received a request from the Mayor to provide some tables of food and drinks for the people of the city.

Steven: Where's Sadie?

Lars pointed to the back.

Lars: In the back, you can go in, but try to be quiet if you want to see something amusing.

He said this as he left the front counter and made his way upstairs to his office, beginning to check off items and products that would be brought to the show that night.

Lars: Looks like we've got everything. Just need to inform Mr. Smiley about how many tables we'll set up before I bring any extra stuff with me.

As he typed away, the music downstairs stopped. It seemed like Sadie had discovered Steven was here. Lars smiled softly before looking back at the screen and continuing his typing.

.

.

.

As night fell, the stage lights cast a warm glow over the assembled crowd, which included both townspeople and visitors. They were seated around tables, enjoying the good juice and lemon squash that Lars had brought over himself. He was puzzled about Sadie's whereabouts since she was supposed to have helped him with everything.

The shop had closed early to prepare for the night's event, and Sadie's task had been to restock items and clear out boxes before meeting Lars on Fenton Street. They were supposed to collect the delivery together and bring it down to the shore where the event was taking place.

Despite her absence, Lars trusted Sadie had a good reason for skipping her duties. He continued on as usual, taking care of the boxes and setting up his stand at the event, where he served attendees and chatted with other business owners from Beach City like Mr. Fryman and Kofi. The two men were engaged in a typical business rivalry, seeing competition only with each other and not with the Big Donut, which they believed was unbeatable at this point of time.

Kofi: I still don't know why my family would even consider joining this ridiculous show.

Mr. Fryman: Their act wasn't that bad. It was certainly better than Ronaldo explaining something about a watermelon being a galactic warrior from another timeline.

Kofi nodded.

Kofi: Yes, that boy has such a wild imagination.

Mr. Fryman: But kids will be kids.

Kofi sighed and nodded again. Lars sat quietly, noting that it was rare for the two men to speak without being at each other's throats.

Suddenly, Steven popped onto the stage, wearing a dress, fancy girl shoes, and a star painted on his cheek.

Kofi: Steven?

Mr. Fryman: Bit's boy?

Lars had no words. He remained quiet, slightly embarrassed to even look at Steven, who began to sing and dance in the dress. Of course, the mystery guest was Steven, or it had something to do with him. The crowd watched, some bewildered, others amused by Steven's unexpected performance.

.

.

.

Mr. Smiley: And the winner...

Everyone stayed quiet as they all stared at the stage, waiting for the winner to be announce.

Mr. Smiley: Will be announced after this sponsorship that made this event possible! RAID SHADOW LEGEND IS A MOBIL-!