Thirty Four

Indi

There's a knock at my bedroom door, interrupting Ezra as he was talking about what happened after Lucas and I showed up that day.

I've never hated an interruption so much.

"What?" I yell at whoever is at the door.

"We still need to order food! It's almost six!"

I let out a sigh, looking at Ezra. He's sitting right beside me on my bed, his fingers drawing shapes on my leg.

"You can come in!" I shout.

My father walks into my room, one hand covering the side of his face, blocking his view of us. So dramatic.

"Dad, we're fully clothed," I tell him.

He peeks over before dropping his hand completely. I roll my eyes. "Did you want something from Burger King, Ezra? I wanna order soon."

Ezra's hand stops, the tip of his finger resting idly on my knee for a quick moment. "Um..." He looks to me, then back at my Dad. "Maybe just some Sprite."

I nod, feeling a little happy that he ordered. It's not like I have some type of feeder kink and want him to stuff himself full with junk food– it's just that, I don't think he should feel as anxious as he does around anything that isn't his planned meals.

And maybe this is a start.

"Alright," my dad says before exhaling. "It'll be here in about half an hour."

"Thanks," Ezra says.

"Yeah, thank you," I add.

Then Dad leaves and it's just me and Ezra again. He resumes tracing my knee with his cold fingers. I rest my head on his shoulder and let out a sigh.

The silence between us is just so comfortable. It's always been this way. We don't need words to fill the air between us, we're good just the way we are.

"Have you ever smoked?" Ezra asks breaking the silence.

I shake my head slowly, not paying any mind to the random conversation switch. "But one time, in freshman year, I snuck into my dad's closet and stole some of his CBD gummies because I couldn't sleep."

"Really?" he asks, a hint of amusement shining through his voice. "What was it like?"

"Well, It was fine, I guess. But worrying about whether or not my dad could tell I was high kinda ruined the whole experience."

"Did he find out?"

I smile, almost laughing at the memory. "I told him the next day and he literally just shook his head, scolded me, then ordered me Melatonin."

"He wasn't mad?"

"He doesn't really get mad, just disciplinary," I say. "Well, he doesn't direct anger at me or Lucas. I think it has something to do with his childhood. But he did say that I'd be in trouble if I stole something else."

Ezra is silent for a few seconds, his index finger drawing stars on my pale skin.

"Have you?" I ask. "Smoked?"

"Oh, yeah," he says. "Levi always has that stuff with him so I've tried it, but it just isn't pleasant. I don't see what the point of it is, honestly."

I nod. "Does Lucas?"

"Sometimes. But he says it makes him move slower when he plays, so..."

"Hm," I hum. "Well, I'm glad you're not one of those people who has to be intoxicated to have fun."

He lets out a breathy laugh. "Me too."

I pull my head off his shoulder so that I can see his smile. He doesn't have dimples or anything like that, but his smile is still so...pretty. I guess kissing him has made me quite fond of his lips.

Ezra's eyes drop down to my mouth when he catches my gaze. He doesn't move, his breath fanning over my cheek for a moment. My lips slightly part on their own, and that's when he goes in for it.

The kiss he gives me is featherlight and gentle and so, so perfect.

I love how our touches and kisses and conversations don't have to all be of one kind. We can be wild and energetic, but we can also be tender and relaxed. And we're always in sync about it.

We break away from the kiss, and I know that we could go so much farther than that, at this exact time and place, but I'm okay with savoring the slowness too. We don't have to move quickly, because what we have is beautiful and patient. We really do have time, and we really do have the luxury of letting things happen on their own.

And deep down I know that one day he'll he my boyfriend and one day I'll be his girlfriend. I suspect I might even be falling for him in a way that is much more serious than a crush–that I've been falling in such a way since that night in Atlanta. But for now, we get to enjoy this...addition to our friendship and bask in the glory as it is.

✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧

A/N: Sorry for the slow updates! I got taken away from my father and my life has been super hectic since, so I usually don't have time or motivation to write. There will be more coming in the future, though, and hopefully the updates will be quicker now that it's summer! Love ya'll <3