01

My world crumbled quickly. My fingers clawed at the debris produced from the broken street. From inside the collapsed road, there wasn't anything I could do. My ankle hurt and had already turned purple. My legs were scraped from my fall. Still, I tried to climb, escape, and do everything I could to reach my brother's hand.

"Nadia!" he shouted. He leaned into the hole's opening, outstretching his arm as far as possible. His shirt had ripped when he tried to catch me but it was hopeless. I stepped on a crack, tearing into the damaged street, and it gave way from under my shoes. I was trapped. But Iman wouldn't give up.

"Come on, sis, reach!" Iman gripped the street to keep from falling with me. Sweat and dirt peppered his tan forehead. His dark eyes glowed with frustration, with determination; he wasn't a person to give up.

"I'm trying!" Tears slid down my brown cheeks as I tried to climb the biggest piece of the road. But my legs burned. My muscles ached. And my sprain wasn't helping.

This was it, it was over, wasn't it?

This was more than the terrors of the androids' uprising. AI became too advanced, and humanity knew they would attack for years. As a child, I joked that it would begin with robotic vacuums. Then it happened, cities fell to ruins, and those of us who lived scrambled to survive. I wanted to do everything I could to stay alive and knew that getting to the safety zone in New York would make it happen.

Yet, in the blink of an eye, it wasn't a possibility.

"Iman," I pressed my knee into sharp concrete, "I can reach if you just come closer, just—"

The shuttle bus honked its horn—violently. The blaring sound echoed. It was our escape and the last safe transportation out of Chicago. We were already five minutes late; the driver should've left us behind. Yet, he remained, he looked out for us, and I had to fall.

Iman looked behind him, gritted his teeth, then glanced back at me. "Nadia, they're leaving."

"You can't leave me!" I whimpered, digging my fingers into the wall in front of me. I managed to climb up a foot, but my shoe slipped. Biting my lip to keep from crying out, I held my breath at the pain and looked back at my brother. "Don't leave me."

"I—" The horn honked again, and Iman's head snapped back. His short curly hair slapped against his skin. He panted. And pulled up his hand. Frozen, I watched my brother push himself up to stand, his chest rising and falling and all I could sense from him was hesitation. Was it for the bus? Was it me?

I ground my teeth. "Just tell them to wait, I can get out, I—"

"I love you, sis." Iman balled his fingers into fists and stepped back. One. Two. I couldn't see the top of his head anymore and panic draped over me. Was he actually going to leave me? No, not Iman. My half-brother may have come late in my life but since the androids rose and the battles ensued, he was at my side. When my days were rough and painful, he made sure I was hidden and comfortable, far from the androids' radar. A d when Pops died, he held me tightly and swore he'd never leave me alone.

His feet skidded on asphalt as he turned, and though I couldn't see him, I knew he was headed for the bus. He ran.

I slammed my hands against the jagged concrete. "Iman! Don't leave me!"

A bus door opened. Hushed, frantic voices carried in the air. Then it was over with a slamming door, a revving engine, and the sound of wheels violently peeling off down the street.

I couldn't breathe, couldn't think or feel. I was alone, trapped in the ground with nothing but my pain and a busted ankle. Iman abandoned me. He could've tried harder or got someone from the bus to help; not leave me to die.