8 | EMBRACE YOUR INNER CHILD

On Sunday, the third day of our road trip, it's quiet in the car, in a good way for once.

No words, no music, though the comfy silence somehow seems right. I roll down the windows and lean my head against the door frame, listening to the wind rushing by, smelling the pine trees, watching the clouds chase each other across the sky. We've covered so many miles today, barely stopping to get some snacks at the gas stations.

As we approach the city of Denver, the relentless sun of the day begins its descent, painting the vast Colorado sky in a breathtaking display of color. The once endless plains have morphed into rolling foothills, and the vibrant blue softens to a pastel canvas, streaked with hues of peach, apricot, and lavender.

I watch the stars materialize, like someone is dimming the switch on the night sky, so each shining dot grows brighter and brighter.

The next big stop will be tomorrow: Las Vegas. And then, finally. L.A. My heart flutters in my chest like a bird attempting to flee its cage.

I first push my hand out the window, and then I put my head out. I feel my hair blow behind me and the air rush into me, and for a moment, I forget to worry about how I'm supposed to be. Where I'm supposed to be.

Because I am perfect right now. Everything is.

And David is a perfect driver. Not scary. Just steady. And fast.

When we enter the city, posters plastered on the walls, showcasing upcoming concerts, catch my eye —a vibrant kaleidoscope of neon and airbrushed rockstars.

My gaze snags on a familiar logo, a red and black diamond with a lightning bolt splitting it.

"Van Halen," the bold lettering screams, "Live in Denver!"

Van Halen! Seeing them live was a teenage dream, a concert I begged my parents to take me to in NY, but never got.

Now, here it is, a chance encounter on a dusty road trip.

Dave is fiddling with the radio, a frustrated frown creasing his forehead. "Static city," he grumbles, tossing the knob back in defeat.

"Not anymore," I announce, pointing at the posters as we drive slowly past. The red and black diamond logo catches the fading sunlight.

"Van Halen. Live. Tonight."

Dave's eyes widen in surprise. "Seriously? Denver's got a Van Halen concert tonight?"

"Yep." My voice bubbles with a newfound energy. "We have to go, we simply have to, Dave."

"Alright." Dave grins at me. "Spontaneous April Lewis. I like it. Looks like we're trading parking lot parties for a rock and roll show."

Yes!

"I'm a bad influence on you," he adds with a shake of his head and a smile.

🗽🚘✉️❤️🏖️

As we enter the packed concert hall, the roar of the crowd hits us like a physical wave. The air vibrates with the pulsating bass line, a tangible energy that sends shivers down my spine.

Multi-colored spotlights dance across the stage, illuminating the iconic figures of Eddie Van Halen with his signature striped guitar and David Lee Roth, his flamboyant persona captivating the audience.

We find ourselves swept up in the energy of the crowd. We belt out the lyrics to "Jump" and "Panama," our voices hoarse but happy. Dave, whom I've only known as stoic so far, pleasantly surprises me with his air guitar skills, a goofy grin plastered on his face.