Chapter Five

I was a hopeless romantic at heart when I was a teenager. Slowly, my romantic heart shriveled, and hatred filled it. I lost trust in the people around me. Instead, all I can see is betrayal, abuse, and anger. I stopped being hopeful. There is no such story about an attractive young man falling in love with a poor girl.

By four o'clock, I'm back at my regular schedule, working at Golden Services. What Tyler said this morning has stuck with me. It hurts to admit that he's right.

"Hey, Elena." William intercepts my way to the kitchen. "I was waiting for you. Can we please talk in my office?" he says with a smile and walks to his office with me on his tail.

On the way to his office, Nick stops a foot away from us and looks at me with worried eyes. I give him an assuring smile but that doesn't detract his scowl.

"Please sit," William says once we stroll into his office.

I sit on one of the gray office chairs facing his desk. William's office is warm and friendly, like his character. But he has also designed it appropriately to attract clients.

"Elena, I would like to discuss what happened at the event the other night." He sits behind his desk. "I noticed you were gone longer than usual. I did receive a notification yesterday that explained you were assisting the management team. I'm just worried for you because... of our earlier discussion ahead of the event and that, frankly, you looked a bit shaken that night. Did something happen?"

"I had a . . . panic attack. I needed a bit of air, so I took my break earlier than scheduled. Before I got back, someone in the hotel management needed my help, so I helped them." I should stop rambling now. I pinch my finger with my nail. "I'm sorry. I should have mentioned this earlier." I don't know why I decided to lie, but I'm afraid of William's judgment. I'm scared of his follow-up questions.

"Elena, did something else happen?" he quietly leans on the desk. "You know you can tell me if something happened, right? If you're not comfortable discussing it with me, we can ask one of our female employees."

My breath hitches. I fumble with my hands.

"Did someone take advantage of you that night?" Frowning, he asks with concern.

"No, no. Nothing happened." I release a sigh of relief. "I only delivered a suit from the hotel room to the office. I assure you. I'm okay. I was a bit shaken because I was afraid I might get fired for getting back late." Another half-lie.

"I see." William nods his head. "Was your panic attack because of the company?"

"Yes. But I don't want to talk about the company." I look down at my hands, praying he wouldn't ask further.

"Alright. I'm glad to hear you're okay now. I'm sorry if you had to go through that."

"Thank you for looking out for me. Not a lot of people do that." I offer a sad smile.

Two hours later, the first guests arrive, and I throw myself to work. Somehow, Nick manages to catch up with me.

"Hey, El. Where have you been? I was worried sick about you that night."

"I'm sorry, Nick. I didn't feel good."

"Hey." He stops in front of me, halting me on my path. "If anything happened to you, you can tell me, you know." He gives me a supportive face, and I smile sweetly at him.

"I know, Nick. You are a good friend, but nothing happened." He gives me a nod and goes to serve.

Once dinner is served and we stand in a line per usual, Lucy giggles next to me and nudges my arm.