𝙏𝙒𝙊

KAIA JACOBS

I'd never admit it, but the way they moved so smoothly and in unison was something beyond my comprehension. They shared the court, it wasn't something independently owned. You could tell by the way they moved it was as a team.

I was inventively watching as they completed a few more drills until their break. It felt like I was holding my breath until they could let out theres. The stamina and work ethic was consistent. A continuous cycle of up and down the court, layups and then cardio drills.

"Water break." Coach called out to his team waving them over towards the benches.

My eyes wandered across the team. Exhaustion clear in their faces, sweat inevitably dripping from their faces to the nape of their necks. My gaze moved quick along the long line of players, stopping at a certain blonde. She stood with legs spread out, her right hand resting in the inner corner of her thigh as the other sprayed water into her mouth. Placing the gatorade bottle down by the chair beside her, taking a stand. Hands crinkling the end of her jersey in her palms. Before I process what's happening she's lifting the end of her jersey to her face, revealing her stomach. Undeniably toned and structured.

Before I have the chance to look away. Paige Bueckers is staring at me dead in the eye with a smug look on her face. To which my gaze falls back down towards the ground, the sudden interest on how polished the floor peeked my attention.

Why did I keep on staring? Why didn't I just look away like a normal person?

I closed my eyes envisioning what would've happened if I had just looked away. Yet the image has not oppressed itself from my mind.

I can hate her and she can still be hot. By no means does that make me hate her any less. But the way she looked with her eyes narrowed down to me with that smug smile. In the most disrespectful way possible it was somewhat attractive. But the thought of it being Paige made me go frigid. I felt the soles of my feet go numb at the constant shaking of my leg hit the floor with a harder force every time. The skin of my bottom lip ripped raw by the constant gnawing, biting down harder every time I found myself looking for her.

We were now even, but I go into everything to win. Ain't no way i'm letting Paige Bueckers win this.

______________________________

The warmth of my body slowly evaporating from my body, radiating off my skin as the air felt colder on the emptied field. Everything clung in the night with some form of peace that made the cold worth it.

Emma had her arm wrapped around my shoulders bending her head down slightly just enough so her voice would reach my ears.

"You ready to get your ass beat?" She snickers, pushing my side gently. Her blonde hair messily sat around the sides of her face as the drafts of wind tinted her pale cheeks in a blush pink.

"You wish Mounts, you can eat my cleats... again." She laughs pushing the back of my head down as we walk into the middle of the field where the rest of our teammates stood.

I turned to see the bleachers slowly filling in. Coach Auriemma leading his team into the front line with a smile in his face, waving happily. His smile lines deepening with his forehead slightly crinkling at the harsh increase of lights that shed from above. His team keeping their head low by their hoodies, rubbing their hands together in desperate attempts to keep the warmth.

In the distance I spot a bright headed blonde working her way through the line to join Ice and Aaliyah towards the rear end.

"Alright split, let's play some soccer." Coach Rodriguez passes out the bibs splitting the team into equal halves sending us on either side of the field.