Chapter 3: Welcome Home Rachel

Patrica's eyes popped open as she heard the words on the other line. Surely he wasn't serious. "What?" She asked, eyeing Rachel who was sound asleep in her bed. She stood from the uncomfortable chair she had been sleeping in and entered the bathroom, quietly closing the door behind her.

"Me and my brothers would like to foster her," Mark said on the other line.

"Doctor I appreciate your concern, but there is a lot of paperwork and-"

"I know we are not licensed, but is there any way you can do an emergency placement perhaps? My brothers are all doctors, well one's a teacher but were all trained in basic medicine. She's got a better chance here than she does in a group home or orphanage."

"I don't know, I would need to talk to my boss. Even after that, we would need to do background checks, a home inspection, and interviews." she brushed a piece of hair that had fallen into her eyes. "Are you sure you all want to do this? She's an ill kid who is petrified of your profession."

"We're sure." he said firmly "We understand the challenges ahead, better than most. We also know how hard it is for an ill child to get adopted, we've been wanting one for a while and maybe this is our chance."

Patricia sighed, "I'll speak with my employer in the morning, see what I can do."

"Thank you patricia." Mark said and hung up the phone. There was a beep as the call disconnected. Particia placed the phone into her pocket and quietly exited the bathroom. She closed the door quickly, hoping to not wake rachel. Thankfully she didn't as the girl continued to snore. She looked at it with a smile, thankful she may finally get a home, even if it's just for a few months. She sat back down in the chair next to Rachel's bed and closed her eyes, drifting back off into dreamland.

The next morning Patricia informed her superior of her situation. Thankfully, she had agreed to the placement, thinking this was the best option for her. After several weeks, the background checks, home checks, and interview with the six brothers were complet and she was given the green light. Now, on a saturday afternoon, the two sat in Patricia's car, driving down to Rachels new home.

Rachel sat quietly in the back with a purple shirt that had a dinosaur on it and a blue pair of leggings. A duffle bag was next to her full of everything she owned. Her stuffed cat sat in her lap. She held it close as if she were afraid to lose it. Paticia had told her she had found her a home. But every time she had heard that news, the placement didn't last long.

"Are you excited Rachel?" Patrica asked, looking in the rear view mirror.

Rachel shrugged as she watched the world go by outside.

"I believe you know some of them, but there all very nice people." she said with a smile. Eventually they turned into a neighborhood. Rachel watched as the house rolled by. They were nice looking, really extravagant. They ended up pulling into a big gray house nestle somewhere at the far end. Rachel stared up in aw at how big it was. She was imagining a much smaller house in a cramped neighborhood, just like the others. But this place was up on a hill with plenty of space between the neighbors.

Paticia turn her car off and hoped out. She opened the back door and grabbed Rachel's duffle bag before helping her out of the car. She took Rachel by the hand and walked up the small flight of stairs that lead to the front door. She rang the doorbell and a few seconds later it opened revealing a very familiar face that Rachel had seen before.

"Paticia, wellcome!" the man greeted, his voice very familiar. His eyes looked down at Rachel. "Hey Rachel, do you remember me?"

Rachel felt strange about this and clung to Paticia. She looked down at the gril a smiled, running a hand through her hair. "Rachel, you remember Dr Julian." Rachles eyes widened as the words hit her brain. Doctors, she was gonna be living with doctors?! She clung to Patricia tighter, afraid of them.