The First Encounter

Both the Professor and Ethan reached a door on the second floor. A long screen adorned the door, making it stand out from the rest of the doors in the lab.

"Go on, open the door," the Professor grinned.

Ethan glanced at the Professor and sighed before slowly opening the door, revealing its mechanical interior.

Instead of bookshelves, various machinery made of wood and iron now dominated the space. A long, blue table distinguished itself from the rest, with a shining Pokeball lying in one of the three glass capsules.

Ethan quickly walked towards his new partner's Pokeball and placed his hands on the capsule.

The Professor chuckled as he followed. "How good it is to be young!"

The capsule slowly opened, and the Pokeball launched itself upward, landing right under Ethan's hand with a thud.

Smiling, Ethan thought. "It would be so good if it's a Bulbasaur."

FLASH!

A sphere of white light docked in front of the table with a mechanical click, revealing the fire lizard Charmander.

CHAR!

CHARMANDER!

The Charmander closed its eyes as it gave Ethan a heartwarming smile.

Looking at the cute creature, Ethan couldn't help but smile with happiness. "I'll gladly take it!" he shouted.

Bending towards his Charmander, Ethan raised it up in the sky. "I have a feeling that we might already be the best partners in the world!"

Seeing happiness etched into Ethan's eyes, the Professor smiled as well. "Isn't it too early for you to say that?"

Ethan shifted his gaze towards the Professor and smirked, "Well, I should build up some positivity since we have lots of money to gather."

An evil grin spread across the Professor's face as he walked towards a cylindrical machine. "I don't know if I can guarantee you success with money, but I can give you a tool to help increase your rate of success."

"The Pokedex!" the Professor exclaimed as he took out a small red device from the machine. "You'll gain knowledge about the Pokemon you encounter, and in return, I'll get aid in my research."

With a plain face, Ethan replied. "Okay..."

"Alright then, let me also provide you with some other tools you may need," the Professor muttered as he searched through the machine.

"Spare Pokeballs!" the Professor exclaimed again as he handed them over. "With these, you'll be able to catch more Pokemon and grow stronger!"

"But, Professor," Ethan stared at his full hands. "Maybe you could've given me these after I changed into my new adventure gear."

Taking back the Pokeballs from Ethan's hand, the Professor stated, "Then let's head back to your house."

After a few minutes, they reached Ethan's house, where Lily had been waiting outside.

"Mom!" Ethan exclaimed. "Check out my partner, Charmander!"

Lily glanced towards Charmander, which smiled and raised its hands to greet.

"He certainly looks smarter than you," Lily giggled. She turned towards Professor Oak and gently bowed. "Thank you for complying with my son's request. Although, I still want him to go to a university."

Ignoring his mom's words once more, Ethan dashed into the house. "Mom, where did you keep my adventure gear?"

"He keeps avoiding the university talk, doesn't he?" the Professor sighed. "He's just like my son."