Chapter Seven (Final)

Y/N felt like they were having an out of body experience—maybe they were dreaming? That seemed like the most reasonable explanation for a night like that.

They kept waiting for the moment where they shot awake in their dorm room, but it had yet to come.

No, this was real, and it was more beautiful than they ever could have imagined.

It was also over much faster than they would have liked. Y/N and Charlie bounced glances back and forth all throughout Neil's monologue and the following final words from the poets. They were the last two to exit the cave.

Y/N spoke up once there was some distance between them and the rest of the poets, "So it was you this entire time?"

"That it was," Charlie grinned as he shoved his hands in his pockets.

"God, you're so annoying."

"What?" Charlie laughed out.

"It's such a you move to be waxing poetic to me in secret while being an absolute terror in person."

"Well, I had to get through to you somehow."

Y/N was having a difficult time being annoyed at the grinning boy.

"You could have tried talking to me like a normal person—you know, the old-fashioned way of doing things."

"I thought this was the old-fashioned way?" the grin still hadn't left Charlie's face, and the light look in his eyes made Y/N's stomach flutter, "Besides, you wouldn't have had any of it."

"Who said I'm having any of it now?"

"Well, you're here, and you're actually having a conversation with me without trying to run in the opposite direction," he stopped walking and faced Y/N, "I'd say that's a start."

"Maybe so," Y/N shrugged and couldn't help the smile spreading across their face.

Charlie's features softened, "I liked your poem, by the way...not as good as mine, but it's the thought that counts."

"You're insufferable," Y/N laughed.

"But you're suffering me anyway."

The pair stood in silence for a beat, exchanging soft smiles and savoring the moment.

"So, where do we go from here," Y/N inquired, "what's your master plan, Romeo?"

"We go out on a couple dates, get married, grow old together—you know, the usual."

Y/N rolled their eyes as their cheeks flushed, "would it kill you to be serious for five seconds?"

"Maybe," Charlie grinned as he entwined his hand in Y/N's, "I'd really like to kiss you."

"Then kiss me, Dalton."

And so he did, and it was perfect.

That is, until the cheering and wolf whistles began from up ahead.

Y/N was impossibly red as Charlie pulled them along with him back to the poets, a mixture of pride and adoration on his face as he looked at them.

"Really, Dalton? We leave you alone with an individual for one minute and you're already putting the moves on them?" Knox teased the boy.

"Long con, boys," Charlie wrapped his arm around Y/N's shoulders, "works every time."

"Have I mentioned that you're insufferable?"

Charlie just smirked and leaned in for another short kiss. Sounds of mock disgust fell upon deaf ears.

Meeks was right, Y/N thought, this night really did wonders for my spirit.