𝐃𝐚𝐲 𝐨𝐟𝐟

TODAY WAS AN off day before their preparation for march madness. It was a day where the players could step back from the hardwood and indulge in the simple pleasures of collegiate life.

Paige, ever the gym rat, initially intended to spend the day sharpening her skills, but Nailea had other plans. With persuasive charm and a touch of mischief, Nailea managed to coax Paige away from the lure of the basketballs' echo. She insisted they join the rest of the real world for a bit, starting with a trip to Target. Nailea's dorm needed a few essentials, and Nika had texted her a list of must-haves that couldn't wait.

Reluctantly, Paige agreed, but only after Nailea's playful begging broke through her resolve. As they wandered through Target's aisles, Paige found amusement in teasing Nailea, lobbing questions like, "what would you do if I left you on a desert island?"

Paige then asked "If I didn't have blue eyes, would you still love me?" with a smirk.

Nailea's response was swift and playful, a simple "No," which she tossed over her shoulder as she examined a shelf of bedding. Paige feigned a deep offense, her expression one of mock betrayal, which only made Nailea's laughter ripple through the air.

"It's your best feature," Nailea tried to justify, her eyes dancing with humor, but Paige had already started a dramatic departure down the aisle.

Abandoning her shopping basket, Nailea chased after the taller girl, her voice laced with laughter, "Paige, I was jokinggg. You'd be cute with or without blue eyes."

As Paige heard this she turned, a teasing glint in her eyes, she challenged, "You calling me cute, Devora?"

The blush that painted Nailea's cheeks was as genuine as it was unexpected, They words had just slipped out of her mouth, but it wasn't as if she wasn't thinking it. In a sassy comeback, Nailea declared, "I'm not calling you cute, Bueckers, I'm just stating the obvious."

Returning to their abandoned shopping, Nailea felt Paige's gaze on her. She moved with an effortless grace, her casual attire hugging her in all the right places, highlighting her athletic form. Her hair framed her face perfectly, the lighting of the store casting soft highlights through the strands, enhancing the natural glow of her complexion.

As Paige watched, it was clear that the admiration between the two was mutual. The teasing, the laughter, the gentle ribbing—it was all part of the intricate dance that made their friendship unique. Whether they were battling for victory on the basketball court or playfully bickering in the aisles of a department store, it was these moments of genuine connection that fortified the bond of the childhood friends.

It wasn't just about the game; it was about the unity, the shared memories, and the laughter that echoed far beyond the gym's walls. On this day off, Nailea, Paige, and the rest of the UConn team found joy in the mundane, a reminder that sometimes, the most extraordinary bonds are strengthened in the most ordinary places.

Nailea and Paige continued their playful banter as they navigated the aisles of Target, the atmosphere light and carefree. Their camaraderie was the kind that could only be forged through countless shared experiences, both on and off the court.

As they picked up the items Nika had listed, Paige couldn't resist turning the shopping trip into her own little spree. Into the cart went an assortment of snacks, a collection that seemed to grow with each aisle they crossed.

"Um, girl, who do you think is eating all this food?" Nailea asked, an amused arch to her brow as she regarded the pile of snacks that Paige had amassed.

"Me... uh, me and oh, me," Paige replied with exaggerated sass, rolling her eyes playfully as she tossed in another bag of chips.

Nailea shook her head, a smirk playing on her lips. "Just wait till conditioning starts again, and when you start complaining, I'm not helping you." There was a teasing warning in her tone, one born from the many practices they'd endured together.