chapter nine ; already over

"and i say im done but im still confused, how am i supposed to close the door when i still need the closure?" already over; sabrina carpenter

evelyn

I willed myself to keep my eyes closed.

I knew, that once I opened my eyes, I'd have to come to terms with it. The fact that I was laying in his arms - the arms of a boy that despised me.

While my eyes were closed, I didn't have to face the fact that he hated me. I didn't have to hate him back. I could bask in the sensation, his warmth, his comfort.

"Cute." I heard a boy laugh. It was most definitely MK, but I didn't open my eyes to check. "They definitely hate each other, hey?"

"Fuck you." Malachi laughed, his chest rising and falling beneath my head. My breath faltered a bit at this; if he was awake, he knew I was laying in him. And he made the conscious decision to not shove me off.

"Maybe they're secretly in love." Milo snickered, causing Julian to snort.

"Malachi doesn't do 'secretly' in anything." He commented, making the boy exhale in annoyance. "That isn't secretly in love. That's open infatuation."

Malachi's hand ran up and down my spine at a gentle pace. We were still below the covers, so his subtle touch was concealed. Every flutter, every brush, every movement could be felt in my soul, rattling my right to the bone. I could feel all their eyes on me. As much as I wanted to stay there forever, lost in the fantasy where Malachi and I got along, I couldn't stand being stared at any longer.

I let my eyes flicker open, my eyelashes tickling the boys neck. He jerked instantly, peering down at me as I revealed my consciousness. To my dismay, he gave me a gut-wrenchingly gorgeous smirk, slowing his strokes on my back.

"Got a bit cold?"

I scoffed, immediately sitting up and away from Malachi. Wouldn't he just be so wonderful if he wasn't such a cunt? "Shut the fuck up, as if you weren't enjoying it."

Sway laughed at my remark, shaking her head at the two of us. "Everyone else is up. We were going to wake you but... Malachi was pretty insistant that we had to let you sleep." Meg snickered in the corner as Sway told me. I could feel my face turning red with every single word uttered, knowing what everyone was thinking.

"We're leaving in twenty minutes!" Chandler exclaimed from the kitchen, having whipped up a feast for the army of people staying in the house. I leaped out of the bed, running to the bathroom to get ready. I threw on some grey brandy sweats and a black skims top, pulling back my hair into a quick messy bun. After staring at my face in the mirror for a good few minutes, I decided that today wasn't a makeup day.

I stepped out of the bathroom to find Malachi leaning against the wall of the hallway. He looked me up and down slowly, opening his mouth to say something.

"If you're about to say that I look better without makeup, keep your fucking mouth shut." I warned him, making the boy laugh. He shook his head, standing up straight.

"I wasn't going to say that. I was just going to say... you look good."

I wished that I could control the butterflies that erupted in my stomach at his words. I wanted to resent the boy, but I wanted to love him at the same time. I wanted to be his friend, but I hated everything he did. Maybe I didn't like that fact that he didn't like me. Maybe I couldn't handle that. But maybe, he was just a moody bitch.

"Yeah, okay." I rolled my eyes at him, walking straight past the boy into the lounge room. He chuckled at my dismissiveness, shaking his head as he walked into the bathroom after me.