𝓗𝓸𝔀 𝓣𝓸 𝓔𝔁𝓹𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓼 𝓒𝓸𝓷𝓬𝓮𝓻𝓷

Tree leaves swished in the wind, dancing as birds hopped from branch to branch. A quaint graveyard sat beneath the variety of trees. It was mid-day, and the sky was a light gray; clouds filled the sky but it didn't seem like it was going to rain anytime soon. The sun peeked through the clouds as if it were shy.

Hundreds of graves were scattered in misaligned rows throughout the yard. Different names were etched into the stones. Some showed their ancient age by the mass amounts of moss that covered them. If no one came to attend to that person's grave, then it was likely for debris and leaves to cover it, and let time wither the stone down to nothing. It was sad; a shame, really.

A freshly dug pit laid at the end of a row of graves. It was, as expected, several feet deep, the dirt raw and somewhat loose. There was no tombstone at the head of it. It only seemed a couple hours fresh. 

There was no coffin in it, no dead body.

However, there was a girl.

She was laying on her back in the grave, gazing at the sky above her. Her eyes reflected the sky. Grey, pretty bleak. She seemed bored, mildly depressed, and quite out of it. How abnormal it was for her to be laying in a grave, playing the role of a cadaver.

She had long and straight dark hair that was sprawled out behind her head. It mixed with the dirt, but she didn't seem to care. She was wearing what looked like a school uniform: a dark blue skirt, a white shirt, and a navy blue blazer. She was also wearing black nylons, and in slight contrast to the formal and polished attire, she was wearing a pair of all black Converse tennis shoes. Some dirt stained her clothes but she didn't seem to mind, either. 

Her gaze was fixed on one spot in the sky, but it didn't seem too peculiar. Wispy clouds drifted overhead, yet her eyes didn't follow them. It was as if she was just staring upwards. She must've been laying there for countless minutes. She could easily be mistaken for a corpse if it wasn't for her chest subtly rising and falling with each breath. 

Faint footsteps added to the sounds of the bird calls, and gradually became louder as a figure approached.

A boy.

He looked around the same age as the girl, perhaps a little bit younger but not by much. His short dark hair was unkempt, ruffled under his black baseball hat. His skin was a light tan and his eyes were an abnormally pale hazel. A brown zip-up jacket decorated with dancing stripes of muted colors covered his torso and down his arms, and he wore a pair of gray jeans which were slightly flared at the bottom. He was also wearing a pair of worn tennis shoes that didn't look as notable as his expression, and especially his eyes.

The girl's fixed gaze was finally stripped away from the gloomy sky, and instead fell on the boy who stood before her on the ground above the hole. He stared down at her as well.

Brief seconds flew by before one decided to speak.

"What are you doing?" The boy asked. His voice was deadpan and inexpressive.

"I'm watching the clouds," The girl stated.

"From a grave?" The boy questioned.

The girl then slowly began to sit up. Dirt cascaded off her arms and hair. The soil had been packed and flattened below her. 

"It's comfortable," She said. She was just making up excuses now.

The boy tilted his head to the side as the girl began to climb out of the rectangle-shaped hole in the ground. It nearly proved too difficult to scramble out of, but once she was able to get a footing on the side of the grave, the girl was already out by the time the boy blinked.