Chapter Seventeen

Emery Gray

Trigger Warning: Homophobia

Listen, I loved the fair. It was full of shitty food that tasted so good. It had beautiful lights. Fun rides. And just an overall enthralling environment that made me want to stay wrapped in the feeling.

But.

I was fucking tired. We'd been here all day and Triple-A showed no signs of slowing down. They'd just run off to another ride. After they asked if I wanted to partake, I told them I was going to sit down for a minute. Brielle and Harper were off doing their own thing, and I didn't know where Alaric's parents were.

The road trip was taking a lot out of me. My emotions were, too. Hell, my emotions were the root cause of my exhaustion. All I could think about was Alaric, and picking the right moment to take what he offered. A relationship. But what if I completely fucked everything up?

I shouldn't be thinking about my friends and what they would think. But I was human. All humans gave a shit what people thought. At least, they cared what their friends and family would think. Now, I'm back to avoiding all their calls and texts. The boys stayed on top of messaging Dylan and Declan back. But not me. I was afraid they'd sniff me out and I'd be forced to explain something I couldn't explain to myself.

What did I tell them? Oh, yeah, Alaric and I have kissed a few times—he offered to make me his, but I was waiting for that puzzle piece to connect. For the world to send me the fucking answer. It felt like something was missing. Like I needed Alaric to give me a speech about how he wouldn't turn into someone I didn't recognize. I've had that happen with an ex. Not fun. I didn't know. Alaric has more than proved that he cared about me. Buying gifts. Picking out my costume. Listening to me. He'd given me all of these things, and there was just a small piece I couldn't identify holding me back.

And maybe it was my friends. Maybe it was that. Maybe I needed some sign that it wouldn't be only me fighting against them, should it come to that. That he will defend my rights and his to be together. That they didn't get to tell us we were wrong. Because after hearing all the off-handed comments Aurora made—the way Jason openly growls when any of their names are mentioned—I'm afraid of how this is all going to go.

But Alaric is worth so much.

Honestly, was I worth him standing beside me when I faced my friends? After all the shit I put Alaric through? Was it even fair that I was thinking about this? Probably not. But sometimes...it's a nice thought to have when picturing the one you've grown to like a little...too much, standing with you.

Someone dropped a tray on the table I was at—right across from me. I lifted my eyes to see an unfamiliar, older gentleman seating himself there. His eyes stayed trained on me as he slowly sat down. I glanced left and then right to see there were plenty of open seats for him, yet he chose to sit right here. Great. Perfect. I had a feeling about what direction this was going to go. And I knew it because of the shirt I was wearing.

I was gay and proud. I didn't hide shit. And I was unhappy to report, this wasn't the first time this had happened.

"You're pretty flamboyant about how you present yourself, aren't you?"

See? I knew it.

I plastered the most bored expression I could muster on my face. He was clearly drunk. I could tip him over by pressing my pinky to his forehead. "Gosh, you know, I really am. Thank you for noticing."