𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 ☘︎ 14

During my panic about Cinna and the arena, I've missed most of the countdown. My mind only surfaces in my head when ten is being counted.

There was no pool in the arena, no chance to learn how to swim. This, obviously, gives District Four (the fishing district) a massive advantage.

"Austin..." I slowly whisper under my breath. I desperately look around for him, but he's nowhere to be seen. He must be round the other side. So I focus myself on getting to him.

I know how to swim. My father taught me at the very same lake I met Bonnie and Twill at. And, judging on the fact that not many of the tributes will know this, I decide I'm going for it. I poise myself, ready to dive.

I set my sights on a set of axes, piled up amongst the cornucopia's loot. This is what I'm going to get. Last year I was anxious, I wasn't going in. This year, I know what I'm ready for.

Three.

Two.

One.

A ring goes off in my head and I plunge into the water, cutting through it with a fast front crawl. The water freezes my body and seizes my limbs but I keep going determinedly. I'm headed for the stone strip on my right, to climb up it and head for the cornucopia.

But when I get there, I see I'm not alone. Gloss has left his plate and is climbing up onto the strip now. I know I must beat him before he gets to the weapons.

I climb up out of the water, the stone marking my hands and run full pelt towards the cornucopia. Gloss pulls back when he realises he's not going to be the first.

I see Finnick on my other side, who, from Four, obviously is a fast swimmer like myself. But he trips whilst looking at me so I'm certain I'm going to be first.

When I get to the cornucopia I instantly pick up the axes, then turn to my enemies. I see Brutus approaching, and throw at him. The axe does a minor damage to his thigh.

I aim for Enobaria, who is also nearing land, straight to the heart. Releasing my hand, I look away, kind of scared to kill again. I can't help feeling relief when she dives into the water, safe from my shots.

I turn around, seeing Finnick, and I'm about to throw, to end him-

"Good thing we're allies, right?"

"What the f-"

This completely throws me off guard, but then I see he's holding his wrist up. And on it is Haymitch's bangle.

Haymitch has given this to Finnick, as a sign for me to trust him. To become his friend. Or his ally. Even still, I ask. "Where did you get that?"

"Where d'you think?" He retorts, and I know he's telling the truth. "Duck," he tells me, taking a trident out of its holder. This is his specialist weapon.

I do as he says and watch the weapon flit over my head. I hear the man from Five's grunt when it hits its target.

Finnick's already picking out his next weapon. "Don't trust One and Two. I'll take this side, you hold them off, I'll go find Austin!"

Stunned though somewhat relieved at my new ally, I follow his orders, throwing an axe at Gloss who has got a little too close for comfort.

"Willow, Mags found him, he's over here!" Finnick shouts to me. I quickly run over to where he's pointing.

Mags stands half way along a stone strip when Finnick and I arrive, wordlessly pointing to the combat going on in the water. I hear grunts and splashes, then see Austin in combat with another tribute, up against a metal plate. Suddenly, I know he can't swim. Of course he can't. Well, there's me thinking only of myself again.