Chapter 4: Into the Dragon's Den

(3rd Pov Dragon)

A few months later . . .

Dragon looked over all the information he had gathered on his desk. He had gotten reports of items being stolen from shops and business throughout his district. He brushed it off at first, thinking it was a one time thing, or it was multiple sinners or hellborn that didn't have any connections to one another.
And he was right . . . sort of.

There were a total of ten different theft cases in the span of two weeks, and then then suddenly stopped. Then they started up again twenty seven days later. Ten cases, but from different places than last time. The process would then repeat for time and time again. Sometimes things would be stolen from eleven places, sometimes it would be nine. The only time this pattern would change was after extermination day. When he expected the thief to make an appearance in his territory just after the extermination, there was a five day period of nothing being stolen by the thief, and then the pattern would start back up again.

After noticing a pattern, Dragon did some digging. He asked around and threatened multiple sinners and hellborn to inform him on any gang activity that he had yet to get under control in his territory, but there he didn't get any answers.

It was hard to discover the pattern of thefts due to people normally stealing in hell. But unlike other sinners and hellborn, this thief only stole food and clothing. And the places he stole from were never close together and he only stole from the same place after repeating the twenty seven day absence two more times

Dragon decided to call a friend of his. She didn't consider him to be a friend, just a business associate. That friend was Carmilla Carmine. 
He remembered their conversation well. He had informed the demoness of his situation and asked if she had noticed anything similar going on in her territory. She said she would look into it.

A few days later she called back, discovering a pattern of people stealing food and clothing in her territory. Her situation was only slightly different from his, the change being that the thief would only steal four times in the span of a week and then disappear for thirty four days. Of course, Carmilla wasn't affected much by the thefts and didn't bother looking into it any more.
The only reason Dragon was looking into this case was because he was a hero when he was alive, and a good one, too. A part of that heroic persona came with him to hell.

So. He called two other overlords he knew: hells oldest overlord, Zestial, and the overlord of the kaiju district, Zeezi. After the two had done some digging they called back and told him their findings. They were the same as him and Carmine's thief, the only difference being the amount of time the thefts took place.

Continuing his personal investigation and swallowing his pride, Dragon made one more phone call. He called an overlord named Vox. Dragon and Vox's group, the Vees, never really interacted. Nothing good happened between him and the three overlords of the entertainment district, but nothing bad happed either. So, Dragon cashed in a small favor the television headed sinner owed him and asked Vox to report back to him when he got all the information.

Thankfully, Vox got the information Dragon wanted, and a photo, too, confirming that the thief was a sinner demon and not a hellborn.
Dragon picked the image up off of his desk. The demon in the photo was short, and wore a large, red hooded sweatshirt, black shorts, and red shoes. Two, curved black horns piercing through the top of the sweatshirts hood that obscured the demon's face. The sinner was currently running from an angry, hellborn store clerk. In the hooded figure's arms were mismatch pieces of clothing, and following the demon was a floating leather book. The strangest thing was the golden-red glow that covered the demon's legs.

The one thing that Dragon didn't understand was why the sinner was stealing. Sinner demons were placed sixth in hell's hierarchy, above the hellborn and Imps and hellhounds.
Overlords placed fifth on that scale.