Alt: Immortality - Ensnared by the Captive

"You know your orders, go. Make me proud son," Uther said, one hand on Arthur's shoulder, the other holding out a pure cold iron stake. "Use this only if you must."

Arthur jutted his chin out and took the stake.

"I shall not disappoint you."

He wasn't sure if he was trying to convince his father or himself.

~❄~

He had gone and done it! He couldn't stop the surprised bark of laughter that escaped him. His trap had worked and there, right there, was a filthy vampire perfect for the taking! The perfect way to prove to his father he was just as formidable a hunter as he was! He couldn't wait to get some shackles on this monster and present it to his father.

"Not so powerful now, are you?" Arthur taunted, standing with his arms crossed.

"I'll have you know I let you catch me, you arrogant prat," the vampire spat back. Arthur laughed again. Oh, Arthur was going to have fun breaking that attitude out of this creature!

~❄~

This creature with sharp features but the softest eyes he hadn't been expecting from a bloodthirsty animal. Not red like he'd been told, but blue, darker than his own. Similar in colour to a stormy sky.

~❄~

"Would you shut up already!" Arthur shouted, throwing his dagger at the creature. It was getting on his last nerve with its endless prattle. He needed to get back home, but his voyage had been stalled by raging storms across the kingdom.

"You just stabbed me!" the creature gasped, hand wrapping around the wound and the hilt of the dagger embedded in his thigh. He didn't appear to be in any pain, more shocked than anything.

"It's a simple iron blade, not cold iron. Stop complaining and shut your trap or I'll throw my other one."

He ended up having to gag the creature. He'd been surprised by how silky its pitch-black hair was, and how soft its cold skin was under his fingertips. Most surprisingly, the creature didn't try and bite him when he was well within the ability to.

~❄~

It had finally stopped raining hail and Arthur was able to make good time on his journey back home.

Why did he have a deep feeling of dread coiling in the pit of his stomach as he got closer and closer to his destination with his prize?

~❄~

"Are you truly going to hand me over to your father as a trophy?" the creature asked one night, its pretty eyes never leaving Arthur's.

"I—"

He found himself unable to give a proper answer.

"You do realise what happens to us when we're given to your Head Hunter, don't you, as his son and all?"

Again, his mind was blank.

~❄~

His fangs were gentle as they caressed over the tender skin of his throat. His lips were just as soft as the rest of him.

How wrong had he been, how blind! He could never go back to that life! No more lies and secrets.

He chose this. He chose him!

"Please, I must know your name. You've never told me," Arthur pleaded.

"Merlin, my name is Merlin," he said right before he sunk his teeth in.