XVI

I laughed as Carlotta recounted a funny story about her grandson at his fifth birthday party. I leaned forward, resting my elbows on the counter. Listening to Carlotta talk was one of the best parts of my day. I enjoyed her cute story almost as much as I enjoyed hearing her snort out loud as she told it.

Our laughter died down with the sound of approaching footsteps and cut out completely when Luciano entered the kitchen.

"What are you ladies laughing at?"

I looked over at Carlotta but she stayed silent. Though she had a good relationship with Luciano, I considered this was her way of ensuring I became more used to communicating with him. In that sense, I was on my own when it came to Luciano from now on. I couldn't help but raise my eyebrows at Carlotta's behavior before I gave in and said, "Carlotta's grandson has an extreme love for cakes."

"Is that so?" Luciano's tone challenged me as if he believed our joking was about something more private, more personal.

"Yes. So much he dives into it headfirst."

Luciano chuckled. "He knows a good thing when he sees it."

I did a double take of the man in the kitchen with us. The chuckling and lighthearted comments were uncharacteristic of the Luciano I knew. It took great restraint to not pinch myself. This new side of Luciano had come out of nowhere ,but the moment was too real for it to be a dream.

Unfamiliar with Luciano's newfound mannerisms, I could only nod along in an awkward silence that followed. Carlotta mumbled an excuse about doing inventory of the pantry before she whisked herself away.

"Anyway, there's actually a reason I came down here to see you," Luciano started. "I'm hosting another poker game tonight and am wondering if you would like to play?"

My eyes widened. After my actions last time turned him almost murderous, I thought he would never hold a poker game at the mansion again. Even if he were to host another game, I never imagined he would actually invite me to it.

"Are you serious? You want me to play poker again with you and your friends?"

Luciano scoffed. "They're not my friends. They are family and business partners."

"Do you even have anyone you would consider a friend?" My question wasn't meant to be harsh. I only asked it out of curiosity after witnessing how he has sacrificed so much of his life for the mafia. If he wasn't away making business deals, he was in his office of the mansion making phone calls and handling behind the scenes documents.

He shrugged. "Armando is the closest thing I have to a friend."

"Okay." I nodded before I spoke again. "I still can't believe you're inviting me to a poker game."

"I learned the hard way that if I don't invite you, you will invite yourself. And then there will be hell to pay for it."

I hid a proud smile. It was satisfying to know my actions had gotten through to him. He was starting to consider my capabilities before making decisions. "You're not wrong about that."

"But I have a condition of my own."

It didn't take a genius to figure out where this was headed. I nodded as a sign for him to explain his condition.

"There will be no strip poker. I want you to stay fully clothed for the entire game."

I tapped my finger on my chin. "Hm. I'll have to think about it."

His face fell. "Katerina, please. I've agreed to all of your conditions for our relationship. All I'm asking for here is respect in return."

"Don't get your panties in a twist, I was only messing with you. I'll join you tonight. You have my word that I won't undress at the table this time. Not even a little bit."