xvii. ❝ and he chose you ❞

LOGICAL

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

017. ❝ AND HE CHOSE YOU

HAVAN BLINKED HER EYES SLIGHTLY before coughing as she let out a few loud gasps, trying her best to get a little bit of air back into her system. "did you just pull me out of there with that water power stuff?"

"no." percy replied. the boy wasn't sure if it was true or not, he didn't exactly know how to use or control his powers.

"did you just--"

"i don't know, maybe?" percy cuts her off. "im figuring this out as i go."

they both stood up, now looking at the huge statue that was holding onto ares' shield. "how are we supposed get that thing down?" percy queried.

havan's gaze began to shift between the statue and the chair infront of them. "these things are connected somehow. it's a machine but how do you start the machine." she turned to look at percy.

"this chair." percy began to say. "it was a gift with a hidden purpose. hephaestus offered it to hera, but as soon as she sat in it, she couldn't get up. all the gods tried but the machine was too smart. it was too strong. it was too much. even for them."

"finally, they said if hephaestus let hera free, aphrodite would be his wife. the chair is the bargain, one of us goes in the other gets the shield." the boy finished.

"i'll do it." havan made her way forward without hesitation but was pulled back by percy grabbing hold of her wrist. "what? wait a minute." he said.

"whoever goes in, isn't coming out." she looks up at him this time. "that seems pretty clear." she said, trying her best to get her arm out of his grip.

"i know, thats why i said wait." percy responded.

"this isn't the arch, seaweed brain. you're not pushing me into the stairwell again--" she said, once again attempting to pull her arm away from him, but the boy didn't let go.

"yes i am, bluey." he cuts it. "im not gonna let you this time. it doesn't work that way." she told him.

"this is why i didnt want you here." he blurts out. havan furrows her brows slightly before tilting her head. "excuse me?" she asked him.

"when i was choosing my team, i didnt pick you for a reason. chiron told me about our fate before the oracle told you, only one of us makes it out of this quest alive, and i decided who it should be." he tells her.

"that was you. the fates were right. i can't believe it, but annabeth was right. there's no getting around this. we dodged it at the arch, barely, but we can't run from it forever. i tried, but even after i didnt choose you for the quest, you still managed to get here." he told her.

"the oracle chose you, the gods chose you!" the girl shook her head in disbelief. "stop! it isn't about that." he argued. "what could it possibly be about if it isn't about that?" she asked him.

"you're better at this than me. you just are. and you know it. only one of us makes it. it's either fire or water, remember? not both." he tells her and the girl continues to looks at him in disbelief.

"no, no. i can't--i won't let you do that." she told him. "believe me, i wish there was another way this quest succeeds. i just don't see it. and if i don't see it, what chance do we have against the prophecy." he explained to her, her hand now in his as a small tear fell down the girls cheek.