4

Eva must have fallen asleep because it was dark when she woke up. Someone had turned the lamp on next to her bed.

Her back ached as she moved, sitting up on the bed. Her neck was stiff from having to sleep on her stomach, but the mattress was so soft beneath her. The room was warm, and it was quiet - a different kind of quiet than what she was used to.

Eva tensed as she heard approaching footsteps. There was a gentle knock, before a girl poked her head through. Her features brightened when she noticed Eva was awake.

"Hi, Eva," she chirped. "Do you mind if I come in?"

Eva didn't respond, unsure if she should.

The girl pushed the door open anyway.

"I'm Kenzie," she said. She was holding a tray that she sat on the nightstand.

Kenzie was pretty. She had short wavy blue hair and a row of piercings lining her ears.

"I brought you some dinner. You're welcome to leave the room if you feel up to it."

She reached behind her to the pocket of her black jeans, pulling out a phone.

"I put my number in this if you need something from me and don't want to leave the room. Bri's number is in there, too. She also lives here."

Kenzie set the phone on the nightstand. She shifted a bit, and Eva got the impression that she was unsure.

"What am I supposed to be doing?" Eva asked her curiously.

Kenzie offered her a warm smile. "Nothing. You're not a slave anymore. You're safe here and free to do as you please."

Not a slave? That couldn't be true. She was bought at an auction, like she always was. This has to be a trick. It was a trick. They wanted her to mess up.

"I'll leave you to eat," Kenzie said. She left the room.

Eva glanced at the tray of food. She hadn't eaten for a while, and she probably should, but she was afraid of what they might do to her if she did.

She took the bread roll and the glass of water, opening the balcony door and taking a seat on the ground, letting her feet dangle through the bars. There was a cool breeze that felt nice against her skin. She shut her eyes, pretending that she was anywhere else, anywhere but this nightmare of a life that she lived.

---

There was another girl who entered her room the next morning.

Bri was blonde and tall. She seemed a little more timid than Kenzie.

"It's freezing in here," Bri said, pulling the balcony door shut. "I'll have to ask Graham for a heater or some extra blankets."

Bri pulled the quilt off the bed, placing it on Eva's lap. She was sitting on the floor, enjoying the sunrise and the quiet.

"Do you have some favorite foods, Eva? I noticed you didn't eat dinner. We can figure out how to make whatever you would like."

When Eva didn't respond, Bri moved back over to the door.

"I'll be back up with breakfast in a bit," she said.

Eva felt a tear fall onto her cheek, one that she immediately brushed away. Bri and Kenzie seemed so nice, and it was going to hurt even worse when they hurt her.

She pulled the blanket up to her chin, thinking about the foods that she used to consider her favorites. There was only one instance that came to mind.

The orphanage she lived in was always at capacity, and they only got what they needed to survive. However, there was one time near Christmas where someone had donated a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies. There was enough for each kid to have two. They were soft and fresh, and she remembered the chocolate covering her fingers.

That had been a good day.

Eva hadn't moved when Bri came back through with another tray. She placed it next to her.

"Nothing bad is going to happen to you if you eat," Bri said quietly. "I tried to get you a variety, so if you need more of something, just let me know. Kenzie and I will come back up in a little while to check your back."

The food looked incredible. It looked fresh, and it was still hot, judging by the steam that rolled off of the bowl of oatmeal.

She took a few bites of the oatmeal, using her spoon to cover up where she had eaten to make it look like she hadn't.