vii. ( the beginning of the end )

[007]  the beginning of the end❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

[007] the beginning of the end
❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

BEATRICE WAS CURRENTLY being poked and prodded in preparation for her interview with Caesar Flickerman

BEATRICE WAS CURRENTLY being poked and prodded in preparation for her interview with Caesar Flickerman. Her prep team had been here for three hours and they were just getting started on her makeup and hair.

They had already given her a bath, scrubbed her down, waxed her, plucked her eyebrows, and re-bleached her hair. To Beatrice, it was pure torture.

"Beatrice! For heavens sake, stop moving!" her stylist, Jinx, hissed. The woman had long blue hair and humongous eyes. She wore an electric blue velvet suit with matching shoes and silver jewelry stacked on her neck. There were tattoos littered all over her body, which Beatrice could never stop staring at. It was the only Capitol fashion statement that she liked.

Despite being from the Capitol, Jinx was very enjoyable. The woman was sassy and had a very bold personality. She never hid what she was feeling and spoke as such. Beatrice admired her.

"Sorry! It's hard to not move when you're practically pulling my hair out of my scalp!" Beatrice winced as she curled another piece.

"Beauty is pain, my darling," Jinx said with a sigh.

"In that case, I'd rather be ugly for the rest of my life," Beatrice said sassily.

The rest of her prep team gasped at her statement. Beatrice could not care less about the rest of them, if she was being honest. They were all vain and immature. But Jinx made sure to keep them in line.

"Don't say that! Beauty is everything, Miss Grey," Arvilla, a member of her prep team, said. Jinx rolled her eyes, while Beatrice just squeezed her fists together, trying to hold back from arguing.

They didn't know what it was like to be in The Games. They didn't know how it felt to have to survive and kill people. To them, it was entertainment. Everything in their lives had been handed to them on a silver platter. The only person who tried to sympathize with her was Jinx.

Jinx held her as she cried when she got back from The Games while she was sitting in the hospital bed with a broken arm. Jinx wiped away her tears. Jinx held her hair back when she threw up from stress. Jinx protected her from the sleazy Capitol men when she could. The woman was like the mother figure Beatrice hadn't had in a long time. And soon, it was going to be ripped away from her.